Training programs for beginners (50m prone smallbore)

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

truK

Training programs for beginners (50m prone smallbore)

Post by truK »

Hi there, i used to shoot smallbore and fullbore at school for about 4yrs and then stopped during uni. I'm now getting back into smallbore and am interested in what would be a suitable training program to work through?

Currently im shooting twice a week (only nights that my club range is open). Going through about 100-150 rounds a night. Averaging about 170-180/200 scorewise (for the last couple of weeks). Im getting very limited coaching at the moment and am wondering what i should be working on at this stage or is it simply just a matter of as much practice as possible?

Any advice would be most appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by truK on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi Shooter188

training

Post by kiwi Shooter188 »

firing shots isnt training try working on a partilar thing eg sighting or balance etc
truK

Post by truK »

hi kiwi shooter188, thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that it is not simply a matter of just firing shots and hoping for the best. Im trying to work out which particular things i should infact be working on but dont have the experience to really know what im doing right and wrong. I think its a pretty hard question to answer over the forum but was just interested in what sort of generic programs shooters (esp juniors) use for their training. For instance how many targets would they shoot during traning sessions?

i was recommended to get a copy of way of the rifle. so i'll start with that and see how i go...
Citori Girl

Post by Citori Girl »

Here's my 2 cents: My junior shooters set goals for themselves each time they shoot - either to work on a particular position, breathing, trigger control, nothing lower than a 7 for a score on a bull, etc. Long-term shooting on the range (which sounds like what you are doing) is teaching your body stamina and control - which you may want to do when getting ready for a competition. I also have my junior shooters keep a notebook of their goals and results. Hope this helps! Good luck.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Another way to gain insight and additional practice time is to buy a trainer. I have a Noptel and it works very well in prone both at home dry firing and on the range with live fire. I did have a RIKA and had poor results with it in prone since I could not point the gun far away enough from the target to get it to cock without seeing the "click" of cocking as a shot.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

There a lot of practice and working with your position to get those scores up. Try to figure out one problem at a time and work with it.

Heres a good training aid. Go to this website and go under his products and you will see a Prone to Win. its a CD.

https://www.bedfordtargetsupplies.co.uk ... shopscript

Its a very good one.
truK

Post by truK »

thanks again for the replies everyone.

i'll take it on board and have also ordered a copy of prone to win so will check that out!
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Let me know how you like that prone program. Hope it helps you out.

stephen
2650 Plus

ost subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

With scores falling within the range you have indicated I would work primarily on building a stable and relaxed position. and next on establishe\ing a solid natural point of aim. Way of the Rifle refers to NPA as the zero hold and shows very clear pictures of what the book is trying to convey. Good Shooting Bill Horton