Which Anschutz?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Isabel1130

Which Anschutz?

Post by Isabel1130 »

OK., Let's try this again. I want to buy an Anschutz .22 for my son to shoot small bore in collegiate competition. I have heard that some models are better for three position shooting than others. Can anyone give me their preferences for three position out of the current models and why they prefer them? Thanks Isabel.

Post by Guest »

An Anschutz 2013 alu. is a great rifle for 3-p shooting, it allows for many adjustment. It costs about $3100 without sights at champion's choice. I shoot a 2013 with a wood stock and have shoot 100's in prone and kneeling with it. I got the wood stock because when I bought it I was in 4-H and the state rules prohibited pistol grip stocks. Aluminum stocks allow for more adjustment to help fit the shooter position comfortable. Champion's Choice has there ultimate position rifle for $4825 with sights it a nice rifle but it more than most shooters really need. Matt Emmon shoot in the 2004 Olympics with a wood stocked rifle, I believe he shoots an aluminum stock now. Used is a good alternative to save money, if you stay within the last 10 years or so you can get a great shooting rifle for far less money. Hope I help.
xcrunner8k

Post by xcrunner8k »

here's my take:

i shoot a 1913 with the aluminum stock. i think it shoots great at 50ft and 50m. i have it weighted to 17 lbs and it balances very well for my position. that brings me to point #1: you'll have to spend a lot of time figuring out the adjustments, getting an ideal head position, stuff like that.

the 2013 is good because it's way easier to change barrels, just undo like three screws and it's out. i don't think the 1913 has an option for a factory short barrel (correct me if i'm wrong) so if you want to go with that approach, then 2013.

the best thing to have without hurting the wallet too much is finding a used 1813 or 1413 for $1600-1800. my buddy did that and now shoots for MIT.

the best thing about anschutz is that if you have an older model in the wood stock and want to upgrade to the alu, the thing will drop right in.

i have to ask, which college is your son going to?

dan m.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

My son is planning on going to the University of Wyoming. I wish I could talk him into a school that actually has an NCAA program as Wyoming only has a club team but maybe if he really gets into it he will think about transferring. He is in Fairbanks Alaska right now but will be getting out of the Army and coming home in June. Ironic isn't it? as UA Fairbanks has the best rifle program in the country. He is a family kind of kid and being up in Alaska for the last couple of years has been hard on him. The 2013 is what we have been looking at. Does anyone have a site recommendation since we are buying pretty much everything? I know a lot about Bullseye pistol but very little about small-bore.
Ten Bar Ranch

Post by Ten Bar Ranch »

Our daughter is in Fairbanks also, stationed at Eielson AFB and scheduled to PCS out in July. She also wants to finish her education and we have been trying to talk her into UA-F also. What's up with these kids! Good luck to your son.
Ten Bar Ranch

Post by Ten Bar Ranch »

Our daughter is in Fairbanks also, stationed at Eielson AFB and scheduled to PCS out in July. She also wants to finish her education and we have been trying to talk her into UA-F also. What's up with these kids! Good luck to your son.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Isabel1130 wrote:My son is planning on going to the University of Wyoming. I wish I could talk him into a school that actually has an NCAA program as Wyoming only has a club team but maybe if he really gets into it he will think about transferring. He is in Fairbanks Alaska right now but will be getting out of the Army and coming home in June. Ironic isn't it? as UA Fairbanks has the best rifle program in the country. He is a family kind of kid and being up in Alaska for the last couple of years has been hard on him. The 2013 is what we have been looking at. Does anyone have a site recommendation since we are buying pretty much everything? I know a lot about Bullseye pistol but very little about small-bore.
I'd give the guys at Champion Shooters a call. Competitive pricing, great people to deal with, and they will tell you everything you need to get it sorted out. You honestly can't go wrong with any of the Anschutz rifles on the market now. If you go with the 2013, I believe Anschutz is discontinuing them in the wood stock.
enricovolante

Post by enricovolante »

In the end in order to have a complete rifle, how much it would be the Anschutz 2013 alu including sights and accessories?
I've noticed that price is a little to much higher that FWB 2700
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I think you are looking at about 3100 for the rifle and another 400 for the sight. Not to mention shooting coat, boots, pants, and other stuff. Champions choice seems to have the best prices but of course with the Euro bouncing around those prices are subject to adjustment.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Isabel - I'm in your same boat. My son is a little younger (18) but starting school this fall and looking to enter a collegiate shooting program. I guess we can't say where he wants to shoot until the April 9th signing start date, LOL... We did a lot of talking with folks and was given the same advice you have been seeing on here. I purchased a new 1913 for $2675 and it arrived yesterday. The 7020 sight and the majority of the rest of the stuff I bought should be coming today. Darn good thing my work bonus check came at the precise moment I needed it! Carl at Champion Shooters in Ohio was a "straight shooter" (excuse the pun) and gave me frank responses as to what should and should not work for what we're doing. I could write a FAQ from everything I learned from everyone else, why to buy what, etc., but now I'm going to be quite busy coaching junior. Oh yeah, and working for a living, too!