Grease and compressed air.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ken Mealing

Grease and compressed air.

Post by Ken Mealing »

I recently greased the threads on the air cylinder of my Feinwerkbau 700, using the Feinwerkbau grease that is prescribed.

Didn't think I'd put much on, but when I took off the cylinder again, I found that the grease had travelled from the threads onto the face of the cylinder where it becomes flush with the action, and some had got onto and around the nipple.

I cleaned it off with some tissue but I'm sure there will still be an invisible trace.

Is the rifle now in a dangerous condition? I assume the grease is silicon based, and Feinwerkbau say it's safe at high pressure, but I still wonder if there's a danger of an explosion.

Or is the danger simply that the grease will attract dirt? I could live with the consequences of that as long as I know nothing is going to go bang.

I would appreciate some advice from members of the forum.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

That grease will not combust under pressure, so don't worry about an explosion.
Ken Mealing

Post by Ken Mealing »

Bless you, WarWagon.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

What you would really worry about if it was a flammable grease. You should be ok though.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Ken

You must use the tiniest of smears when greasing 'O' rings.

Greasing can attract dust particles which is not good. Keep your filling adaptor in a box. I keep mine in a 35mm flim canister. Wiping with tissues leaves tissue particles, use a lint free cleaning cloth.

Cleanliness of all air interfaces is crucial.

Peepsight