disabled pistol matches

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gordonfriesen

disabled pistol matches

Post by gordonfriesen »

Hi folks,

I am a disabled pistol shooter based in Montreal QC, Canada.

I would like to shoot in the USA at whatever level of paralympic competition. My discipline is Sport Pistol.

Naturally driving time is an issue. I would love to find low level competitions that are close to me, but I would also like to work toward more prestigious matches even if they are farther away.

Any suggestions are welcome, and hearing from any others in the sport is aways a pleasure.

Best Regards,

Gordon
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I suggest you ask the question on the website of Patrick Haynes http://www.targetshooting.ca since he's a Canadian coach and should be able to point you in the right direction, at least with regards getting more information.

Rob.
gordonfriesen

disabled ISSF matches

Post by gordonfriesen »

Hi Rob,

As it turns out, I am a constant lurker on Patrick's site. I have also met and even competed against Patrick at the Canadian Nationals (you guessed it...he won!:).

I shoot at all the local matches between Quebec City, QC and Ottawa, ON.

It occurred to me that there might be some matches within reasonable driving time to the South, as in the states of New York or Maine, but possibly further neighbors as well.

What I need is a match:
which includes Sport Pistol (ISSF)
which would accept entries from out of USA
is able to accomodate a wheelchair on the line.

Given the much greater shooting participation in USA vis a vis Canada, I'm sure there must be some. Of course competition on the line is another story. I am frequently the only disabled shooter present in our local/provincial meets.

Does anybody reading this have any ideas? Maybe I should put a note in the Olympic Pistol section? The relevant local matches are the same for Olympic and Paralynpic.

BTW Rob, I find you courageous to be shooting in the anti-gun atmosphere of UK. We in Canada are constantly looking over our shoulder in fear of the arrival of just such restrictive legislation.

Best Regards,

Gordon
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Gordon,

The disabled shooting program, in the USA, was run by the NRA. However, the head of that program retired, and it now appears that the program has been cancelled. So, I don't know what the plans are there.

Stan
gordonfriesen

Post by gordonfriesen »

Hi Stan,

What is the situation with ISSF competition generally? Are there local and state events where the Olympic disciplines are shot?

Best Regards,
Gordon
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

gordonfriesen wrote:Hi Stan,

What is the situation with ISSF competition generally? Are there local and state events where the Olympic disciplines are shot?

Best Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Your best bets are to check the USAS site for matches and make inquiries via TargetTalk. I believe there are some USAS matches in the northeast. Perhaps those folks will contact you.

Stan