Triangular inserts

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Nick_Burman

Triangular inserts

Post by Nick_Burman »

Hi all, I'm giving a try on some Anschütz triangular inserts (I'm asthigmatic on the shooting eye) and I would like to get more info on how to use them properly. Is there a right way to fit them or is it just a question of screwing it into the sight? How should the sight picture look like, should the vertices of the triangle touch the target or should there be some space between them?

Cheers Nicholas
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Nicholas,

Just screww the insert into the front sight and see how it looks. I like to have one of the flats in a certain spot so I can judge my cant angle on each shot. You can rotate to triangle so it has a point at any of three positions. There should be some space between the flats of the insert and the side of the bull (just like with a circular front insert).

The theory is that you only have three spots to check to keep the bull centered, instead of 360 degrees around the bull. For me it is the extra amount of light allowed through the front aperture that helps (due to beginning of cataract).

Many folks try them and go back to circular apertures, and I think the triangle is really only effective in certain instances of vision problems.
peepsight

Triangular sight elements

Post by peepsight »

Hi Nick
There was a whole bunch of threads on triangular sights some time back, have a look.

Generally if you use a round 4.4mm sight then i found one or two sizes down, i.e, 4.3 or 4.2mm in the triang sights work.
The target should be centred just the same as a round sight and should not touch any of the 3 sides. You can experiment by rotating the triang sight to suit your eye sight and target picture.

Peepsight
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Thanks again guys. As Peep well put I noticed that there is a lot of "air" between the insert orifice and the target. I guess that I can use a 3.5 or 3.6 instead of the 3.8 I purchased. For the time being I've set one of the sides on the horizontal so one of the vertices points more or less where my NPA should be when I shoulder the rifle.

Cheers NB