Single Stroke Pneumatic Match Rifle....

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

skheeb

Single Stroke Pneumatic Match Rifle....

Post by skheeb »

I have a 13 year old who wants to move up to the next level of shooting. He has been shooting a Daisy 953 that needs replaced. Looking for recommendations for a rifle that is single stroke pneumatic. He wants to move out of the sporter class into the precision class. Any suggestions? Would like something under 1k.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I shot a Feinwerkbau 601 for 2 years or so way back when. I'd imagine you can pick up a fair amount of used single strokes now for under $1000. Just remember that a single stroke is going to limit him should he choose to shoot positions.
skheeb

Post by skheeb »

Limit him in what way. Flexibility. I'm new at this.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Pneumatic pump guns will make it a bit more difficult to shoot 3-Position events. If he has been shooting a 953 then he will know pretty much what has to be done to pump in all the positions....

With both 3-P and INT'l pumping a gun >> may<< put him at a disadvantage in terms of physical energy that must be expended during the event.

Accuracy is not the issue here .... Compressed gas (CO2 or Air) and the pumps are found that will put one hole in paper all day .... how tired a shooter may get on 60 shot INT'L or 3X events is the factor.

If the shooter is younger (say less than 15), I sure would recommend a compressed gas powered gun .... you may be looking for a used in the $1200-$1500 range
skheeb

Post by skheeb »

He regularly shoots 60 shots at International events with the 953. This past Sunday he shot 120 as he was in a double relay. He tends to get better the more tired he gets. Weird but true. I was just trying to find a gun that is self contained so we don't have to worry about going somewhere to get it recharged for every event. We are also debating as to whether it is wise to move him up to precision or if we should keep him in sporter class for a little while longer. Precision weapons are awesome, but they tend to be a lot more expensive in both the purchase of the gun and with all the accessories that go along with being a precision shooter (pants, jacket, shoes, etc.). We also do not have a local club for air rifle, the only club local is for 22 smallbore and they do not compete. So we are flying solo in getting him involved in competitions. I'm learning as we go along, but I am definitely not a coach just a chauffeur at this point.

S
skheeb

Post by skheeb »

One point I didn't add is that we are in hunting country. No one around here takes you seriously when you talk about competing in rifle. Their idea of competing is shooting a beer can off the fence in the back yard how many sparrows the killed out in the barn with a bb gun.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I started out a chauffer and now coach .... don't be shy.
USA Shooting along with the NRA and CMP sponsor coach schools that are meant to start folks like you and me from scratch.

Also, check with your local JROTC programs, they also have some sort of school now that I'm sure they would let you come in for.

See what's in your area.

=====
1) Where are you .... may people here can direct & help you.

2) I re-read your post and your son is 13..... Height & weight?
I pulled my daughter off of her precision gun for a year and a half as the p-gun I felt was causing some back issues.... now that she is 15 and a bit stronger, she still must do her exercises for her back, but she can handle it.
Advice for less than $0.02 .... don't rush him, don't burn him out, keep it fun. Here's my take .... if he is shooting (sporter) >consistent< 540-550 in 3-P and >consistent< 525-535 in INT'L(60) then yeah .... think of moving him up, if not let him work for those scores in sporter.

The nice thing about sporter is that it can develop good fundamentals in position building, trigger control and followthru, that in and with precision gear may be hidden and more difficult for us (less-)experienced coaches to pick up and correct.

My other $0.02 .... the XSV-40 and T220 are loo light for my taste in all but my youngest shooters. I really like the 888's & 887's. That said, I know a certain 13 year old in KY that shot 560's with her XSV-40 .... she's 14 now, but I think she still shoots sporter with that XSV-40
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Speak of the devil...

viewtopic.php?t=17294&highlight=

Post by Guest »

He is 5'5" and weighs somewhere between 145-150 pounds. He had a back injury two years ago and has to do exercises to keep his surrounding muscles strong and avoid pain.

We are in western Ohio on the Indiana border. 2-1/2 hours from Camp Perry, 2 hours from Columbus.

S

Post by Guest »

We have decided to take your advice and keep him on sporter. Thank you for all your suggestions.

S
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Call the CMP .... chat with Dana Lynd .... she may know some folks in your area that can give advise and loan out some gear to try when he's ready
====================
Dana Bacak Lynd
Program Manager
dbacak@odcmp.com
Phone: 419-635-2141 ext 1123
====================

Also .... the National Coach conference and coach schools will be held at Perry this year in Sept.
CMP is hosting and calls it the "National Youth Leadership Conference"

Coach Schools will be run Sept 23-25 and the conference is 26-28.
Think seriously about taking the Level-1 (rifle) class as a minimum, and then if you can, stay for the conference.

I've been for the past three years, and ALWAYS learn more than what I expected. Even if you don't end up coaching a bunch of kids, what you'll pick up will help you coach your son.
Keep checking the USA Shooting website under the coaches tab on top
==========================

Another note .... if he is able to shoot a 120 shot INT'L match, his back is not all that bad ... but the 953 is a much lighter rifle (what, about 5 lbs?) than even a CO2 powered 887 (we get them up to the max of 7.5 lbs).
A small P-gun with sights will probably be as a minimum of about 10-10.5 lbs.

When you all think he's ready, maybe see if you can borrow a rifle and have him shoot it for 40 shots during a practice, and see how he feels that night and next day .... shoot w/o the pants and jacket, just like he would in sporter ... or better yet have him wear one of those back supports.
I got one of those lifting/back supports for my daughter and we occasionally have her fire w/o the jacket & pants and use the support instead to check on her position

Keep him going and keep it fun!
skheeb

Post by skheeb »

Great advice. I will check with Dana. I will also check into the school. He has shot a couple of different precision air rifles that was what got him wanting one so badly. They gave him one to try at a competition and he loved it. He has shot both the Anschutz 2002CA and a Walther.

953 6.4 lbs
888 6.9 lbs
T200 6.6 lbs

His back has improved greatly, but that is only due to lots of therapy.
At the club he shoots smallbore and is currently finishing up qualifications for distinguished expert. He lives and breathes shooting right now. I told him we would do it until it wasn't fun anymore.

So here's my next question. Being that the T200 is light, I saw that there are barrel weights on the website for this rifle. Are those legal in competition?

S
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Sure .... as long as you:
1) Don't exceed the sporter weight limit of 7.5 lbs (Rule 4.2.2)
2) Weight placement is within the rules (Rule 4.3.3)

See the 3P council rules on the CMP website if you don't have the book

NOTE:On Rule 4.2.3 ... if you hang weights on the fore-end (i.e. on the sling rail) the 50mm measurement is correct ... they missed a decimal place on the 20" .... it should be 2 inches.
Many of us grind down a carriage bold head to fit into the sling rail and then bolt lead weights onto it. Since sporter allows the sling adapter/handstop to remain on the rifle in standing, all the shooter needs to do is slide it all the way forward until it hits the weights and then tighten it down

Attached is a photo of an example .... note that we used this rifle as a 4-H silhouette rifle, so we had rail weights and a muzzle weight that took the rifles up to about 8.5 lbs I think.

pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I would avoid a single stroke pneumatic for a junior. I had two of them. A FWB 600 and an Anschutz 2002ssp. Great guns and when I got my precharged gun I thought I would keep them as loaners for our jr. program. Noone used them because they were just too hard to cock for the juniors. As an adult you can get used to it and it is not hard. For the kids it took about all they had to cock them.
skheeb

Post by skheeb »

Thanks for the input. We are going to go with the Air Arms T200 and get him a precision when he's a couple of years older. Probably will go with a precharged compressed air.