Help with a Hammerli AP40

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Guest - Ann

Post by Guest - Ann »

I am a rifle shooter who is trying her hand at pistol, I have borowed a Hammerli AP40 and can't seam to get it to fire. I have down loaded the factory manual and it looks like the dry fire pin is pushed all the way to the right and I can't get it back. Does anyone out there have this air pistol and if so wondering if you could help me or give me some suggestiosn. Is there a safety that I have not found on it? Thanks Ann
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Try to open the breach fully and switch to fire mode. If that won't help you should probably ask the owner.
There are no safetys.

Good luck.
Guest Ann

Post by Guest Ann »

thanks but how do you switch it to Live Fire? I have tried pushing the button, but I am afraid that I will break it. The person who has lent me the pistol can't remember, he used it a few times a few years ago, and I wont beable to meet with him to figure it out for a while. I was hoping to shoot it on the weekend.
Mike Taylor

Dry/live on AP40

Post by Mike Taylor »

The button can not be pushed to its other position unless the pistol is cocked, ready to fire.
To amplify on Mellberg's suggestion: Cock the pistol by pulling the cocking lever fully up and rearward. The lever moves up in an arc quite easily to about the 90-degree position. Then you will encounter fairly significant resistance to further movement. Continue to move the lever back against this resistance for about another 15 or so degrees. This part of the motion is where the actual cocking of the mechanism takes place. You will hear a definite 'click' as the mechanism cocks and no further rearward movement of the lever is possible (well not without an unreasonable amount of force). Now push the lever forward to its closed position. At this point it should be possible to push the dry/live button to its alternate position (to the left for live fire or to the right for dry fire). If the button does not move after the pistol has been cocked, then I expect there is a mechanical problem that needs servicing.
By the way, the button does require a very firm push to shift it. It moves about one or two millimeters fairly easily, then a good hard push is required to snap it the rest of the way.
Hope this helps!
Mike T.
Last edited by Mike Taylor on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest Ann

Hammerlie Help

Post by Guest Ann »

Thanks, by the sounds of it I am not cocking it properly, I have not heard a click and was just pushing it back not up. I will give it a try when I get home. Thank you so much, I have been looking forward to trying the new pistol, I have been shooting a Tau and was very disapointed last night when I got home and could not get the Hammerlie it to fire.

Thanks Again Ann