Johnson Transition stock?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WarWagon

Johnson Transition stock?

Post by WarWagon »

I know there are skeptics out there in regards to the use of a fiberglass stock for smallbore free rifles. While I don't know of any shooters who have ever used one as they seemed to have phased out before my time, I see plenty of highpower and benchrest shooters using them with success, and hell, I'll try anything just about once.

With that being said, has anyone ever seen a Johnson Transition stock in person, or know of anyone else that's used one? Are the cheek piece and buttplate assembly similar to the older 1813 free rifle adjustments? Anybody have any input on fiberglass stocks for smallbore free rifles whatsoever?

Simply put, I can't afford to buy a new stock at $1200+, and NOBODY is selling a used free rifle stock these days, and I've checked with just about all the heavy hitters, and called virtually every smallbore shooter I know trying to find a lead. Picking up a fiberglass stock though, is a feasible option at this point, but I have no intention to do so if the consequences will be disasterous.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Anyone at all? Shot them an e-mail, no reply some 4 days later. May have to just give them a call.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I am pretty sure that Bob Foth shot a Johnson stock in at least one of his trips to the Olympics. Not sure if he won his silver medal with one or not.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I don't have an oppinion really on the fiberglass part. I did have a stock at one point that had the neal johnson cheek piece on it which I think is what is on the stock you are inquiring about. I did not like it all. Mechanically the design was much less satisfactory to any of the anschutz designs. I personally would hold out for an Anschutz free rifle stock with an adjustable cheek piece. That would be a late 1413 or later. I have bought many. You just have to keep watching. They show up on ebay now and then. There was a nice free rifle stock on I think gunbroker in the last few months. Keep watching they do show up. There seem to be a lot of guys that shoot benchrest. They take the barreled action and put it on one of their 2x4 like stocks and sell the free rifle stock or stick it in the closet. Put a want to buy post on benchrest.com that may turn one up.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

pdeal wrote:I don't have an oppinion really on the fiberglass part. I did have a stock at one point that had the neal johnson cheek piece on it which I think is what is on the stock you are inquiring about. I did not like it all. Mechanically the design was much less satisfactory to any of the anschutz designs. I personally would hold out for an Anschutz free rifle stock with an adjustable cheek piece. That would be a late 1413 or later. I have bought many. You just have to keep watching. They show up on ebay now and then. There was a nice free rifle stock on I think gunbroker in the last few months. Keep watching they do show up. There seem to be a lot of guys that shoot benchrest. They take the barreled action and put it on one of their 2x4 like stocks and sell the free rifle stock or stick it in the closet. Put a want to buy post on benchrest.com that may turn one up.
Can you elaborate as to what it was you disliked about the cheek piece?

I may have found a wood stock in the PA area, but the seller registered to post up that he had it, and I've been unable to contact him since.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

The cheek piece itself was some sort of casting of plastic or similar. Seemed sortof home made. The bit that went into the stock was a shaft with a keyway as I remember it and seemed a little loose and sloppy. I don't know, maybe I am too picky about stuff but the whole thing just seemed like something someone built in their basement.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

pdeal wrote:The cheek piece itself was some sort of casting of plastic or similar. Seemed sortof home made. The bit that went into the stock was a shaft with a keyway as I remember it and seemed a little loose and sloppy. I don't know, maybe I am too picky about stuff but the whole thing just seemed like something someone built in their basement.
Thanks for the input. I am a stickler for tight clearances and good adjustments, so I'll take that into consideration. As luck might have it, a fellow contacted me from South Carolina who has a pillar bedded 1813 stock for sale, so hopefully I'll be able to work out a deal with him.