Zero Point

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Nick_Burman

Zero Point

Post by Nick_Burman »

How accurate should one's "zero point" be? Most textbooks and coaches say that when you prepare the shot, the rifle should be pointed towards the target in such a way that when you drop your eye to aim the bull is already inside the insert ring. However this is a feat that I guess only a few Olympians manage to do (if they manage at all), so my question is, how much deviation of the bull in relation to the insert ring is "acceptable" when one is makimng one's "zero point"? (Of course, over time one should have no deviation whatsoever)

Cheers Nicholas
xcrunner8k

Zero Point

Post by xcrunner8k »

i wrote an article on Natural Point of Aim or "Zero Point" and i'll give you an excerpt...

"How large is your NPA [Natural Point of Aim]? If it looks like you are somewhere on the paper, is that good enough? If you are somewhere in the black, is that good enough? Your NPA in reality is infinitely small. A world-class rifle shooter can detect an error to the TENTH of a ring. A decent club shooter can detect inside one ring."

i wrote this for the junior's program at my club. say you have a shooter who has a hold of inside the black, or maybe an inch at 50 ft. all that shooter should worry about for zero point is that he's in the black somewhere. but for a state level or national level shooter that would be unacceptable, they are much more refined.

now i think you are talking about the front sight, how it should already be lined up when the head goes down. i'll give you another excerpt:

"Where you are aiming on the target at any moment really has nothing to do with where the bullet will go.
Where your NPA is in relation to the target has everything to do with where the bullet will go."

if your sight is already lined up, it still doesn't really tell you whether your zero point is on. think of those several seconds when you are actually aiming and trying to squeeze the trigger. if you are completely settled down with all the muscles shut off, then your front sight should be aiming directly at the target. if it isn't, your zero point needs to be corrected.

sorry i'm so long-winded today.