Eley Tenex, round nose ammo/ UPDATE***

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

saskatoon

Eley Tenex, round nose ammo/ UPDATE***

Post by saskatoon »

Greetings,

I have a case of Eley Tenex, roundnose in red plastic boxes(50/box) with serial/batch number "EEL93B 001-004." Can someone tell me how old this ammo is and how it shoots in 1813 Anschulz, please?

I think NEW Tenex is NOT roundnose ammo.

Thanks,

Blackie

UPDATE: I opened a fresh 50 rd plastic box (sealed in plastic wrap) and noticed some oxidation on the lead bullet. Will this affect the accuracy?[/b]
Last edited by saskatoon on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

There is no way to know how it will shoot in your rifle short of shooting it in your rifle.

It may work great in someone else's 1813 and positively suck in yours.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

If it's round nose TENEX, not TENEX Semi-Auto, it's circa 2002 or earlier, based on when TENEX EPS was introduced.

Will it shoot in your gun? Until you test it, no one knows. Every batch is different, every barrel is different.
shadow

Eley

Post by shadow »

I have Eley 10X in CARDBOARD boxes going back to the 1970s when I shot smallbore rife. It still shoots fine in my 208S.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

It won't shoot well at all. You should sell it. I'll take it off your hands for $1/box.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

If your 1813 is anything like mine, that ol' Tenex will shoot more than adequately through it. The only ammo I've ever used that have produced tighter groups than the old Tenex through my gun were hand select lots of EPS, an older lot of Fiocchi, and some Federal 1000B that Lones Wigger gave me one year at Camp Perry.

And if you don't want it, I'll offer $1.50 a box to outbid Mike M. ;-)
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Nonsense! I'll go to an entire $1.75/box. Seven whole quarters. You can't beat that deal with a stick!
saskatoon

Tenex

Post by saskatoon »

WOW,

This stuff must be crap! I think I'll sell the lead to the Chinese, maybe get a tax writeoff as well.

Blackie
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I am afraid that MikeM is just "messing" with you. I once saw a case of old Eley Tenex in cardboard boxes (before plastic boxes) sell for over $2,000 for a case (on one of the gun auction websites). If this ammo has been stored well and the lubricant has not hardened then it should be worth at least $1000 a case, and maybe more.

The lot number that you got off the box is not the "real" number. These numbers were "made-up" by Eley for sale to the US Gov't because the gov't contract called for a larger lot size than Eley made. The "real" lot number should be written by hand in black marker on the outside of the cardboard case and should likely be two letters and three numbers. The letters can be used to determine the year of manufacture. The case that you have probably "somehow" came from some ammo that was owned either by a college ROTC team or by the CMP (either way I don't think that it was ever intended for public sale).