airgun step up question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Brayhaven

airgun step up question

Post by Brayhaven »

I'm new to airgunning and have been using a couple avantis pistol & rifle as practice for Muzzle loading competition (easier to clean :o). I'm wanting to move up a little and have found a few decent older Diana 75's & FWB (older) 300 models. Any advice on which of these is best (all things being equal) and easy to maintain. I'm a gunsmith but never worked on airguns. Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg
Tony C.

air rifle

Post by Tony C. »

If both of these air rifle are in good condition, my vote will go to the FWB 300, its a well made gun and not much can go wrong if properly maintained.

The Diana Model 75 use the older Model 60 power plant, the Giss Contra Piston System; 2 opposing piston driven by a common main sping, neutralize the recoil. a rather clever arrangement, like all Diana/RWS air gun, they are well made and offer good value for the money, however, the early production gun ( late 60s- mid 70s ) with Giss system, the piston seals are know to detiorate and turn to dust after 15-20 yrs, no matter how careful the owner maintaining them, I have seen more than a few of these gun render useless because of old age, Diana at one time sell replacement piston seals, I don't think they still has anymore in stock but I could be wrong.

Most M 75 you seen today that are still shooting are either late production or have the new piston seals installed, check the velocity, should be some where around 550 ft/sec., may worth considering if price is reasonable and the rifle is in good condition.

Tony