Strange thing with shooting pants

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Here is my story.
Since two practisies ago,I've been practising without shooting pants.That was for about six months with a break during summer.I bought the 144 AHG shooting pants.For the last two practicies I've been using it(of course)and I realise that it has change my standing position.I must also say that the pants fits perfect to me.It kind of limits my waist dyring twisting towards the target.It does protect and support my waist but it forcies me to change my position i had used into.
I also must say that before the shooting pants,I did what Peepsight did,use a waist belt.It did support me,plus it allowed a more flexible position.
Is this normal?Do i have to create a new position to fit me?
peepsight

Shooting pants

Post by peepsight »

Hi

The whole idea about wearing a shooting jacket and pants is to remove some of the bodies flexibility. They give support to the body and help prevent injury. This support reduces the bodies natural sway and vibration in the standing position which enables the shooter [hopefully] to hold the gun more steadily.

In a good standing position most of the guns weight is supported by your skeletal structure with your muscles taking a very small part in the over all support. The jacket and pants are just an added aid to your bone support, they also reduce the need to use too many muscles.

However, they must be a good fit so that they allow the body to get into the correct standing position.
Kurt Thune now markets a body belt for those that require more lumbar support or prefer to shoot without pants.

Peepsight
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

tsokasn, from my own little personal experience I can say that what happened to you is perfectly normal... When I started I spent almost 3-4 months training without any shooting clothes whatsoever. When my jacket + pants finally arrived I discovered that I had to change my posture completely.

Cheers NB
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Here is my update!
After three times that I used my shooting pants,I can say that my waist is supported perfectly!!!I could also tell that the pants are through a ''run in procedure''.I haven't totally got used to them.But,they tend to push my right knee forward.While I used to have both my legs straight(when I was shooting with a waist belt)now I have to bend them a little forward.Is it bad/wrong?
wrc

Post by wrc »

I think that bending the knees is a bad thing - open the leg zippers and see if that stops the pants from forcing your kees to bend. You are right that there is a "break-in" period.
Roy Hill

Post by Roy Hill »

Adding shooting pants does change the position.

A few of my shooters have discovered that they haven't been doing natural point of aim (or zero point) very well, because when they started wearing the shooting pants, they discovered that twisting against the pants made them tired very quickly.

They had to readjust their positions (improve natural point of aim) so they were working with the pants instead of fighting against them.

Good luck
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank's Roy!