Daisy 853 vs 888 discharge noise?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jlochey

Daisy 853 vs 888 discharge noise?

Post by jlochey »

Daisy owners,

Could somebody who owns both of these guns tell me if there is a difference in the discharge noise of the 853 versus the 888?

Thanks,

John
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

There is a considerable difference.

When I'm running a range at a match, or in practice, it is very easy to tell the difference between the two types of Daisy rifles.

The pneumatic (853, 753, 953 types) are quieter having a sound that does not bother many ears.

The 888 & 887 CO2 rifles have a much sharper pop, and I really recommend that all my shooters wear hearing protection, as the closer to the muzzle you get the more it is evident. As a coach, sometimes I'm closer to the muzzle than the shooters are, and my ears can ring if I forget my hearing protection.
That being said, the 888 & 887 are no louder than a CA rifle like an Anschutz 2002 CA.

Some of the Hammerli AR-50's with their long bloop tubes are very quiet .... sometimes to the point you think they are malfunctioning (until you look at the targets...)
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

jhmartin,

You know, I was kind of going in the direction of a 887, but I think I'll just keep practicing with my 753. It doesn't sound like the 887 would be any kind of real upgrade.

Maybe what I'll do is save up for a used, higher end match rifle that still has a self-contained power plant. I really like the lack of reliance on tanks, etc.

I'm just a hobbyist shooter.

Thanks,

John
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

John .... I sure do like the 888's & 887's, but it seems for what you are doing the 753 will suffice ....

The barrel, action, sights and sight radius are all the same ... only the "power source" is different. You may also be giving up some velocity, but if you use even halfway decent pellets, you won't really notice any difference .... just stay away from the Walmart $3.99/500 style and you'll be happy ... I'd say if you are paying $6 or so per tin, they will do ya...

If you are really interested in a precision style gun .... keep looking, there are deals to be had

The main reason I shoot 888's & 887's in my programs is that we are 3-Position oriented and the smaller kids just get totally worn out cocking, and we don't have to get out of position with the CO2 rifles.

Your 753 is still a great rifle.
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

jhmartin,

Well, my 753 is a bit old (quite), and it wouldn't make me sad not to cock the gun anymore. Maybe a new 887 would be a nice upgrade?

Is there any reason other then just the CO2?

If not I'd better keep holding out... ; )

The tough thing is that from my vantage point, they only real step up from a 887 type gun is like a FWB 601 that seem to go for about $1000 used. Would a Tau 200 be much of an upgrade? They're in the $700 range.

What would you recommend as the next "step" if you wanted to kind of put a cap of say $1000ish on that next gun?

Thanks, I always appreciate your posts...

John
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I really don't know anything about the Tau 200's

I'd keep my eye out for maybe a used Anschutz 2002CA or a used FWB 700 CA type rifle. You might have to extend to $1250-$1500 though.

Neal J's has some 2002 CA juniors for $1250. The 2002 ALU CA that he has for $1800 is a Very nice gun .... I was looking at it a few weeks ago when I was up there .... almost new and has sights. I had just purchased a 2002 ALU CA for my daughter, but if I was lookin' that would be a nice gun.

Even if you have to get them to Buck at Pilkguns for a workover, these are tried and tru rifles
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

Yeah, as I had feared! Such a giant gap between something like the 887 and the FWB 700's.

It's painful really...

Hey, thanks for the great advice all around!

John
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Remember .... it's still WAY LESS EXPENSIVE than:
1) A new ATV
2) A new dirt bike
3) A horse

Look at all the money you would be SAVING!
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

AAAAHHH! Please don't remind me!

My daughter wants either a Pony or a Donkey!

And she's already saved up half the money!

Guess who pays the other half?

Yeah, out of my air gun fund! ; )

John
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Might as well join 4-H now ....
My kids have 1 Horse
3 Cats
3 Dogs
and 27 goats!
jlochey

Post by jlochey »