Life of a barrel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

laxratnd

Life of a barrel

Post by laxratnd »

What do you guys think the barrel life is on most of the Anschutz .22
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

By barrel life, do you mean still functioning? are still shooting acceptable groups?
I think that pretty much any .22 barrel will function after 100,000's of rounds but i do not know when the groups begin to open up. Ive got probably 3,000 now through my Walther and it's still shooting like it did when it was bought.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

There are at least several variables to consider.
(1) what is "acceptable" accuracy
(2) brands(s) and type(s) of ammunition used
(3) method and frequency of cleaning

I am aware of some shooters with several 100 thousand rounds through a barrel, but I doubt that the "end of life" accuracy would have been satisfactory for an Olympic level shooter.
TomN

Post by TomN »

I agree with the earlier posters: You need to decide what is acceptable for you. My Anschutz is 30 years old with probably 150K rounds through it, and it still meets all my expectations (which admittedly are modest.) With properly selected ammo I expect every shot to be a 10 (fired in prone position, on the A36 target, indoors at 50 ft.) For those few times when I fire the US "Mini-Palma" course (a smallbore variation of the famous long-range prone match fired by English-speaking countries, fired at 100 yards) my equipment seems to be competitive with any on the firing line. But I know that when firing at 50M on the ISSF targets, my groups are too large to be competitive with the really good shooters. Still, I have fun and I expect my rifle to outlast my body!

Happy holidays.