Skanåker shooting glasses, impressions?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

_Axel_

Skanåker shooting glasses, impressions?

Post by _Axel_ »

Have u used or seen the glasses Ragnar Skanåker sells? What did u think of them?
RobStubbs

Re: Skanåker shooting glasses, impressions?

Post by RobStubbs »

_Axel_ wrote:Have u used or seen the glasses Ragnar Skanåker sells? What did u think of them?
I saw them in Feb - the ones fixed to a shooting hat. I thought they were pretty useless myself, but perhaps there are a few individuals who would get on better with them than 'normal' shooting glasses.

Rob.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

Perhaps you could be so kind and expalain why they are "useless"? Skanåker himself uses them and he still is a top shooter "despite" his age.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

As long as they are comfortable and can be adjusted to put the lens it the correct postion, thats what is most important. I haven't seen the Skanåker ones, but if they are the hat or head band ones I tend not to like them as I find them more difficult to postion the lens in the same place all the time (your nose and ears don't tend to move). A proper, quality lens will do more for you than the frames. Skanåker is still a top shooter and an inspiration but I doubt it has much to do with his glasses.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

True, the nose and ears dont move much, but I dont understand why that part should be an objection to the hat-worn spectacles Skanåker sells!? I mean the head moves still in relationship to the sights, and if u dont turn your neck enough u will be looking through the perimiter of the glass anyway. With old style glasses u must unscrew a screw to adjust this, with the Skanåker glasses u just twist the cap!? Bad idea?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

_Axel_ wrote:I mean the head moves still in relationship to the sights, and if u dont turn your neck enough u will be looking through the perimiter of the glass anyway. With old style glasses u must unscrew a screw to adjust this, with the Skanåker glasses u just twist the cap!? Bad idea?
It sounds like a bad idea to me.

The amount you turn your head, just like the rest of your stance, should be consistent. The position of the lens should not therefore need to change as you should always be looking through the centre of it.

Unless you can guarantee putting the cap on in exactly the same place, in all 3 axes, every time then you cannot guarantee that you are looking squarely through the centre of the lens.

Shooting frames are all about getting a consistent, correct lens position. I cannot see how you can achieve that by putting a cap on, unless you check the lens position carefully each time. As Richard said, using the nose and ears as fixed reference points for traditional shooting frames sounds a lot easier to me.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Its not the movement when you're wearing them, its the fact that I find it more difficult to place the lens correctly in front of the aiming eye consistently. When you place normal frames on your nose and ears then adjust the lens to be in the correct position, it will always be relatively in the same postion. I can't put a hat or head band on my head in the exact same postion everytime.

It just my opinion, if you like them try them, they may work well for you. Personally I don't see any advantage in this style, if there is please let me know what the advantage is, I'm open to the idea.
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

Could someone post a picture.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Below are thinstructions from the webite

1.Put on the cap, ensure it fits snugly.
2.Attach the glasses to the receptacle with the quick-lock facing forward.
3.Adjust the lenses so that, in the shooting position, the sights are in the center of the lens.
4.Ensure the lens is perpendicular to the shooting direction.
5.Lock the lenses in position by tightening the screws

Axle items 3-5 are the things I'm talking about, with normal glasses I need to do this once, with this system you have to do it every time, seems like more work for no real gain. I also find a hat too warm in the summer, and these have to be worn with a hat.

Thanks for the picture, they do look interesting, but I couldn't see them meeting my needs.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

I doubt you need to do that every time, a cap returns to the same place very accurately in my experince. Still you kan adjust the cap to the old position next time u put it on im sure, unless your head swells and shrinks from day to day?!

And i do belive that u give the importance of the eye to lens relationship to much attention. Modern glasses dont give as much distortion in the peremiter as they used too.

Anyway, im gonna check these out, i think theyre nifty as hell!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

_Axel_ wrote:IAnyway, im gonna check these out, i think theyre nifty as hell!
What advantages do you see them having over the more traditional shooting frames.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

No preassure on the nose and ears foremost. This bothers me every day with my regular specs.

And in Swedish "Field shooting" i think its seems practical to just flip of the glasses and put on my regular ones when i walk to the next station, this style of shooting is done outdoors on a trail with shooting stations.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

_Axel_ wrote:No preassure on the nose and ears foremost. This bothers me every day with my regular specs.
That's not a problem I have ever had, and I've been wearing glasses for 45 years. That timescale could be the reason I don't have the problem.

_Axel_ wrote:And in Swedish "Field shooting" i think its seems practical to just flip of the glasses and put on my regular ones when i walk to the next station, this style of shooting is done outdoors on a trail with shooting stations.
Very few of us will have tried that. It's a bit localised so the equipment required may be a compromise for other forms of shooting.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As far as I can see there are a large number of disadvantages to wearing a hat with glasses attached and very few benefits. I also seem to recall they are not cheap.

Rob.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

Here they cost less about the same as other shooting glasses. Less than some infact...
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

_Axel_ wrote:I doubt you need to do that every time, a cap returns to the same place very accurately in my experince. Still you kan adjust the cap to the old position next time u put it on im sure, unless your head swells and shrinks from day to day?!

And i do belive that u give the importance of the eye to lens relationship to much attention. Modern glasses dont give as much distortion in the peremiter as they used too.

Anyway, im gonna check these out, i think theyre nifty as hell!
Actually like most of the body that is covered by skin your head will change with the amount of water you're retaining and your hair too (it grows). I really doubt that you can put a hat on the same with in a mm or two, but hey like I said if you think its great idea buy one and use it.

Agree with your comment about pressure on the nose and ears, when I started with knoblochs they hurt my nose and ears after prolonged wearing, but when I switched to Champions with the silicone nose pies and softer ear covers the problem was solved for me.

For your description of "Field Shooting" they probably would work fine. I think most of the comments here are related to the normal ISSF disciplines, which I still really don't see any advantge for these glasses or hat glasses. Reminds me of those hat they use to have for kids that had wide brims with sunglass lenes mounted in the brim.

As for cost personally I think its a stupid place to save as a good pair of frames is basically a one time buy it should last you your life time if you take care of them.
Last edited by Richard H on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

_Axel_ wrote: And in Swedish "Field shooting" i think its seems practical to just flip of the glasses and put on my regular ones when i walk to the next station, this style of shooting is done outdoors on a trail with shooting stations.
Axel makes a good point. These glasses may be more useful for other (non ISSF) forms of shooting. When I was shooting IPSC & IDPA I had to change from shooting glasses to normal glasses when scoring the target. And, of course, hats were standard attire.
JulianY

Re: Skanåker shooting glasses, impressions?

Post by JulianY »

RobStubbs wrote:
_Axel_ wrote:Have u used or seen the glasses Ragnar Skanåker sells? What did u think of them?
I saw them in Feb - the ones fixed to a shooting hat. I thought they were pretty useless myself, but perhaps there are a few individuals who would get on better with them than 'normal' shooting glasses.

Rob.
Rob,

I was with you when you saw them in feb, In facet I talked to Skanåker, had his Olympic gold in my hands and even photographed it (http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.php?t ... 72_640.jpg) . yes he still is a very good shot.

but....

The glasses when thy are not glasses but a filter. No prescription is not available ;

"It is advisable to have an optometrist check your eyes and possibly have a lens made for your special requirements. If your sighting eye is suffering from astigmatism, you may mount the optical lens in the ring and have the yellow glass as the “snap-on”"

great stuff for a hunter, form which he gets better sales volume.

I asked him if it was possible to get a single 42mm lens ( ie a filter for my champions) but the answerer was no.

sorry but shooter he is , business man - a diffrent story

I suspect they may be a great filter but porbably comparable to champion gold

Julian