Daisy 853

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

big52

Daisy 853

Post by big52 »

I was wondering if anyone here has used the Daisy 853? What I am wanting to know is how durable the gun is, I would like to do some indoor shooting with one this winter and plan to put alot of rounds through one and would like to know how well they hold up before they would need service. I tried one about 10 years ago and it seemed to do very well at 10 meters, the one I tried was a older one that had a metal pump handle, I am guessing the new Avanti has a plastic one so this is why the issue of how well one of these can hold up has me wondering. I have older spring piston match guns but consider them collectors guns now so am looking for a reasonable priced match airgun.
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

Hey big52, how ya doing?

Well I had a Avanti 853 a while back, and although it as a really nice gun, two things kind of ruined it for me. There were some plastic/composite parts (more on that later) and it was a bit too small for me. I am 6' 200 pounds. It did come with butt spacers to make it longer, but even with all of them it was still too short.

Now fast forward a couple of years and now I have the Avanti 753, which is the big(?) brother to the 853? It generally seems to have a bigger stock and works quite well for me for just having fun in the basement. I like it so much that I'm going to buy a Avanti 887 right after Christmas. My Avanti 753 has seen countless rounds through it, I am the second owner and honestly it appears to be quite a workhorse. If the Avanti 853 is right sized for you, then I would expect it to perform well also!

As to the composite/plastic parts mentioned earlier, well they seem to hold up as well as any other part of the gun. The gun can shoot circles around me, and you can hardly beat it for the price. Unless you've to that $2000 for a nice European 10m gun (hmmm, maybe someday!)...

See ya,

John
Michigan
JMorrison

Post by JMorrison »

I’m shooting a 853 which was purchased in the mid 70’s and its still going strong.
I primarily use it in the winter month as in now.

In off hand and sitting, it’s great but prone shooting is a problem.

Therefore I’ve switched to the Daiy 888 Co2 model. And I’ve moved back to 50 feet on the A17. With the 853 my highest sitting score is 95/100 and I haven’t done better with the 888. My highest 888 prone score is 96/100.

My personal goal for 2008 is the shoot 100/100 in both siting and prone before I turn 74 in the middle of January. If I fail, my next goal is to do it before my 75th birthday 2009.
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

JMorrison,

Well, I am suitably impressed! Those are great scores, with what many would consider, a "starter" gun!

You are obviously an excellent shot!

Yes, I am right there with you, I shoot the 753 in my basement and want to switch to the 887 (apparently the 753 stock but in CO2). However, my scores are not like yours! ; )

I still get higher pistol scores then I do rifle scores. I am getting used to the new mechanics of the standing air rifle position.

Looks like I've got plenty of shooting to go, I'm just a youngster! I turned 40 this summer! : )

Thanks for your post!

John
jMorrison

Post by jMorrison »

John:
Don't worry, as you older, you catch on.

I haven't 'chrony' my 888 but the 853 passed 6 feet from the barrel at an avg of 425 fps and reached the 50 foot target going about 411 fps.

Compared to a standard .22, that about 1/2 speed or less. Now think time in the barrel.

Once you get the sight picture - sight a lineament were you want it, you're about 1/3 there. Maintaining the sight picture - sight a lineament, you pull the trigger straight back and you will hear and/or feel the shot release. Now you are 2/3 there.

The final 1/3 is maintaining the 'sight picture - sight a lineament' until the pellet leaves the barrel.

Here is how I try to do it and believe me there many more people who have better way f doing it.

Dry fire you 853 and see how long you can maintain your sight picture - sight a lineament after the release. And when you are tired of dry firing, load a pellet.

At either 33 or 50 feet, maintain the sight picture - sight a lineament until after you hear the pellet striking the back stop or pellet trap. Check the shot, DO NOT MAKE A SIGHT ADJUSTMENT at this time. Shoot 2 more shots at the same bull. In fact shoot several 3 shot groups at several bulls.

What you are looking for is tree shots forming an equilateral triangle or one hole.

Let me know the results.

Jim
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

Sorry to all if I'm hijacking the thread but...

Jim,

I asked another question about 853 vs 888 and it's discharge noise. Can you answer that thread for me? You'd probably know the answer.

John
jMorrison

noise

Post by jMorrison »

Comparing the discharge of the 853 to the 888, to my ears or ear, the 888 makes more noise. But the noise of the pellet striking the pellet trap makes the most noise. Both of which is about the same.

A noise that she who must be obeyed, is constantly noticing and drawing my attention to.

I tell her, she should put on a pair of muffs like I do if it bother her so much.
jlochey

Post by jlochey »

Jim,

Thanks a ton for the information!

Very helpful!

John