Replace Sights on Air Arms MPR?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jwells

Replace Sights on Air Arms MPR?

Post by jwells »

I'm a newbie, and bought an Air Arms MPR for my kids (and myself). From what I can tell, it has Gamo diopter sights. I'd like to learn more about them, and if I should consider replacing this sight.

I thought a diopter sight meant there was a small lens in there? The rear peep is not an adjustable aperture. To me, it looks fuzzy and lopsided with the light glaring through it. It's hard to center it perfectly with the front sight. But then I'm new, so it may just be me.

Can I fit different diameter aperture rings into my front sight? I mean, are all of those little inserts a universal size?

I think I would like an adjustable iris on the rear. Is it worth it? And what would you recommend? I see Gehmann irises advertised, but don't know what type sights they will fit.

Thanks for reading this wide-ranging list of questions.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

New fixed aperture rear sights come with an aperture which is too small. You can get rid of the "fuzzys" by reaming the sight out slightly. I have a sight reamer, but I think the "bead reamers" sold at hobby shops should work OK. Just go one or two small twists at a time, then check it. Kids don't see the fuzzys as well as oldsters, so make it suitable to yourself .

Of course adding an adjustable aperture alleviates all the fiddling around, and can be easily adjusted for each shooter.

As far as front sight inserts, there are several sizes (outside diameters). Measure yours in millimeters, and it is probably either 18mm or 22mm. Both sizes are availabe in various internal aperture diameters from the usual target shooting supply stores. Don't try to use too small a front aperture. 4.0 or 4.2mm is a good starting point.
peepsight

MPR sights

Post by peepsight »

Hi
Pat is right with his advice, however, Air Arms do offer a better quality set of front and rear sights to replace the budget Gamo sights.

The dove tails on the MPR are basically Anshutz fit.
Centra also sell a high quality set of sights at budget price that will fit.

I think if you don't mind spending the money, get an adjustable rear sight iris. I think this is an essential piece of kit for all target shooting.

An 18mm fore sight is the standard Anshutz size and there are more accessories available for this that any other.

Check with Air Arms re another set of sights as you may need a small raiser block for the fore sight. Get there advice first.

Peepsight
jwells

Post by jwells »

Thank you for the insight. I emailed Air Arms, and they said they had a Centra sight, but it was currently out of stock.

Do you know of a source, and/or a more specific name for the Centra product?
peepsight

MPR SIGHTS

Post by peepsight »

Hi

Its the CENTRA Pro 57 back sight. You can also get a budget Anschutz fore sight or a Gehmann. Ask for Anschutz fit.

I'm not sure where you are, but if the USA, there are dealers who sell all this stuff. Failing that go into www.centra-uk.co.uk

Peepsight
peepsight

New Gehmann back sight

Post by peepsight »

Hi jwells

I've just seen on the Gehmann web site a new 'quality' back sight thats even cheaper than the Centra. They claim its a universal fit for most air rifles. The MPR has 30mm dove tails, so it should fit.

Peepsight