Newbie Questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jimsoars

Newbie Questions

Post by jimsoars »

I have recently started shooting 10m AR in my basement and enjoy it a great deal. I have been reading all I can but have a few questions.

Mens Olympic AR matches consist of 60 preliminary shots, then a final 10. It appears the final 10 are scored in 10ths of points. Is there a separate target for this, or how are they scored? It also appears that there is often some kind of electronic scoring used for the finals - hos does that work?

I have been shooting a Beeman R7 with scores in the mid 80s. I decided I needed to work on my sight picture and trigger control, so I thought I would shoot some shots from a rest (25lb bags of birdshot). Surprisingly I was shooting almost an inch high using what I think is the same sight picture as when I shoot ofhand. My groups were not much better than my offhand groups.

Is this because the springer recoil is affecting the shots on the bench? My hold feels steady with a good sight picture.

I have an Anschutz 2002 SSP coming in a few weeks, I'm wondering what to expect.
Thanks - Jim
robf

Post by robf »

expect a world of difference :D
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Jim: Your start sounds about like mine. I had an RWS, not as nice as a beeman but similar design. Accuracy was not super I guess as you say because of that recoil. You will be amazed at the accuracy and quality of the Anschutz. My first match air rifle was a FWB 600. Similar capabilities to what you have on the way. The rifle will shoot one hole at 10m with good pellets. Lots of fun!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

In big matches they shoot on electronic targets which give you the score to the tenth. This can also be done on paper with a nonius gauge, its basically a vernier scale which breaks the scoring rings into tenths.

Shooitng a springer form a rest wont get you much as you've discovered

You will love your Anschutz, it's nothing like your springer.

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys... I'm looking forward to my Anschutz arriving. It's been sitting in the post office in Germany for quite a while now.
Jim

Your Location?

Post by Guest »

Jim, where are you located?
cdf

Post by cdf »

You will be blown away , match AR s an AP s are probably the finest examples of the modern gunsmith-engineers art . It will also take some getting used to .

Enjoy !

Chris

Post by Guest »

I'm near Boulder, Co. I received the rifle over the holiday and all I can say is WOW. What a difference. It is certainly a beautiful piece of engineering. I also have an FWB 601 coming soon as I could not make up my mind which to get. so I bought them both and will likely sell one when I pick a favorite.

It is much heavier than I expected and that is taking some time to get used to. I'm almost up to keeping them all in the black. I am using up a bunch of targets, good thing I ordered more.

It is really quite easy to cock once you get the hang of it. My daughter was up from Albuquerque and she enjoyed shooting it as well, and she's all of 5'2"!

This is really a blast - that's all I need... another obsession... :)
Jim
jimsoars

Post by jimsoars »

oops - didn't log in for the reply above... sorry - Jim
fatkins1

Post by fatkins1 »

New to air rifles, just picked up a FWB 602...Very solid and a kick to shoot. My daughter tried the rifle but found it a bit much. She tried my Walther CP3 air pistol, now she's requesting her own. Having fun in Calif.