To weight or not to weight (sic)?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Nick_Burman

To weight or not to weight (sic)?

Post by Nick_Burman »

Hi all, after a bit of wheeling and dealing I traded my ancient Hämmerli LG450 rifle for a almost-like-new wooden stocked Anschütz 2002, did that because the 2002 was available on very favorable terms and also because I outgrew the LG450 over the past 6 months. The 2002 came with 5 barrel weights installed and it tipped the scale at 5.25Kg. I gave it a try as it came and I felt it too heavy, so much so that I actually felt tired after my first training session with it. After consulting and talking with my club mates I decided to shed some of the weights leaving only two of them installed. However my coach asked me to remove all weights, the argument being that I still have a lot of body movement to remove and that the weights mask triggering and postural defects. The idea is that I should shoot and train without any barrel weights whatsoever until I manage to iron out most of the defects. After (and when) that happens, then I can fit the weights to remove the "rest" of the problems. At this moment I'm down to one weight (the one fitted with a notch to clear the front sight) which I'm keeping for the time being more on aesthetical grounds. I would like to hear from other forum members about this question, if I should remove all weights, keep one as I'm doing now or put more?

Cheers,
Nicholas
peepsight

Weight

Post by peepsight »

Hi Nick

Your coach is right, however, the balance of the rifle is as important as its overall weight. Where the C of G is can be critical.

The trend in Europe is moving away from muzzle heavy air rifles and the latest thinking is to have the balance point just a few CM in front of the support hand whare it actually makes contact with the fore end.

The trend in over all weight is getting lighter with an average of 4.9 KG.
This obviuosly varies from person to person but it is balanced out over the time/fatigue of a match. Every body will have an optimum weight, but to find that will encompass several factors. Ask your coach.

Peepsight
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Thanks again Peep. I believe (haven't seen it yet) that with only one weight I'm down to the 5Kg mark. Other than dropping this one remaining weight there is no other way of slimming her down further, she's equipped with steel cylinders which weigh 0.5Kg empty and which act as an extra barrel weight. As it is the CG is already 1-2cm ahead of where I usually place my support hand, I feel pretty comfortable with it, also been shooting tighter groups than I did with the LG450.

Since the shooting season is over I have plenty of time to tinker and experiment with her.

Cheers NB
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I also have a theory that the weight should not just be added to the front but the back too. I personally don't like a very muzzle heavy rifle. I have seen shooters slide the weights back on the barrel so they are adding weight but not messing up the balance. I would think one goal would be to maximize the moment of inertia of the rifle without messing up the balance. Adding weight to the center section of the rifle does not do this. This would be done by adding weight at the ends in while paying attention to balance. I think your coach is giving you good advice to optimize your position then add weight.