High School e-postal. I need teams!

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Ted

High School e-postal. I need teams!

Post by Ted »

My name is Ted Malone and I coach a high school air pistol team in Louisville Ky. I want to start an e-postal match against other high school age teams/clubs. Here's a brief reason why and details.
I have run a league against local Army and MarineROTC units and a club team for the last 5 years and this has been a great opportunity for shoulder to shoulder competition. Our school district's air rifle season ends in December so I ran it from Jan. - April. This summer the Army and Marine ROTC directors put out a memo saying that air pistol programs are to stop in all their units (now why they don't want to teach their cadets who will be defending our country markmanship skills is beyond me but, that's another topic!). This effectively ended the league and now my team has no team to shoot against in shoulder to shoulder competition without traveling very far. So, I am turning to Target Talk and the internet for help. I want to start an e-postal to replace the league I had ran. Here's the details...

Who? Any high school air pistol team or club team. 4 person team and no one over the age of 18 (or high school senior).

Cost- Free!

When? Jan. 25,Feb.8, Feb.22, Mar.7, Mar.21,2008 (* Please note- you can shoot the match any time that week up to the day scores are due).

Course of Fire- 40 shots in 75 minutes. Sighters Included.

Rules- International Air Pistol rules apply. Basically you shoot one handed with iron sights! .177 caliber air pistol.

Awards- Being this is new. I will supply a first place team plaque and Individual medal for first place. If enough interest is shown, I will be glad to expand this!

Results- Send your scores to me at 'coraem02@bellsouth.net'
My cell is 502-931-1527 if any additional questions
Date Change 12-30-07-Please note also I changed the dates to the scores being due on every other Friday instead of Thursday. I also changed the time to the correct 75 minutes (typo error originally I didn't catch!)
Last edited by Ted on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I have just had the first join!
K Imig

Post by K Imig »

This sounds like a great opportunity for my team! There are 8 of us total...could we compete as two separate teams? Or is it possible to rotate team members from match to match? Also, I'm curious about the time limit being 55 minutes. ISSF rules dictate 75 mins for 40 shots. Why has this been shortened?

Thanks!
Ted

Post by Ted »

K Imig,
I made a typo on the time and didn't catch it! I have put the correct time above. I also made a slight date change as it was suggested scores be due by Fridays and not Thursdays.
There is no problem with two teams! Another team has 5 members and the extra can fire for individual scores/awards. I have several individuals who are shooting that don't have enough members to make a team. If a club/team has more than 4 members all I ask is that the coach e-mail/call me with the team members before the match is started.
gun48nut

Postal Match

Post by gun48nut »

Ted,

My 4H program is going to participate, but I was wondering if you know what the ROTC depts are going to do with the pistols now they aren't using them? My son wants to shoot air pistol next year and I'm looking to get him a good quality pistol at a decent price, and I'm hoping to find a used one. Just thought I would ask.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Gun48Nut,
Good Question!. Bob Foth said the NRA/ILA is trying to help alleviate this situation. The other coaches are going to hold on to their air pistols for at least a little while to see if anything changes in the next year.
Looking forward to getting your scores! I have had Grand Jury duty this month which has made getting my team together very interesting. Just finished tryouts today! I have just 2 returning shooters from last year and selected 5 new shooters.
Have 6-7 teams total and some individuals. This has gone international as some of the teams are from Russia! Have a team from Mo,OH, and Ga too as well as my team from Kentucky. I told my team 'we are shooting against the world tomorrow'! They thought this was intriguing!
Ted

Post by Ted »

I have received scores from several teams but, am waiting for scores from Patuxent NJROTC and a 4H program in Georgia. Send the scoes in guys!!!!
S Williams

e- contest Pistol

Post by S Williams »

To Mr Ted Malone,

Dear Ted

Please take a look at the contest I just posted on the site which i am new to myself. I would be pleased to establish contact with you/your club as I am trying to establish a UK/USA contest .

I do not shoot pistol myself preferring rifle howvere, pistol is growing in popularity in England.

Look forward to hearing fro you.

Kind Regards
Steve Williams
Organiser
England

p.s. I hope to be able to attract 10 juniors and 30 seniors in the Uk but it may take a few months to pull this new venture together. I need to check with you about the targets you shoot - I presume the international standard diagrams. please offer details in your reply.