Body Composition

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Manoj Kumar

Body Composition

Post by Manoj Kumar »

WOuld like to know yr thoughts on body composition in your mid section for bein a successful airrifle shooter. If you have fat on your sides where your elbow rests is that a disturbance??? Will it be any effect on stabiolty/ control as evertime he fat will react differently.
pl let me know
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Manoj:

Well, I am only a "journeyman" rifle shooter, but since none of hte experts have weighed in I'll give it a modest start.

In general, maximum stability of a position is achieved (most important for offhand position) with bone-bone contact and tendons/ligaments under tension. Anything that gets in the way of bone-bone contact (like excessive fat) and/or relaxes tension on ligaments/tendons will decrease stability.

Short answer: you are correct that, all other things being equal, excess tissue in the way of your position will not help. The degree to which this si a factor however will vary considerably. The length of your humerus vs. length of your L-soine and T-spine is also a factor. For example, I have to twist my back like a pretzel in order to get my elbow down on my pelvic horn in offhand. A thick layer of fat (or couple of rifle magazines in a waist pocket- shhh!) would actually help.

Your Mileage May Vary

Steve Swartz