Two Groups

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Gliderpilot

Two Groups

Post by Gliderpilot »

I am having a problem of getting two distinct groups when shooting prone. One of them is VERY tight on the X and I assume that it is the main point of aim. The second is about 20 mm to the right of the first. It is a pretty good group, maybe 12 mm center to center (the left group is 4 to 5 mm).

I am thinking that it is either pulse or head placement not being the same from shot to shot. I tend to think it is pulse because of the right group being more open and therefore having a little motion involved. It was also shot with my lighter rifle as I am out of the good lot of Eley Black that shot such tight groups and high scores with in 2003. So pulse motion is a little more pronounced then with my 1913.

It just may have been wind as it was shot on a very windy and gusty day. But I thought I did a good job reading the wind flags. Maybe not though as it was REALLY windy. At any rate, this problem has cropped up before with me before and if someone has direction of where start to to look I would be grateful.
crosshairs

Post by crosshairs »

Ok, I don't know if this was your problem but......

Check your body alignment. Never use your arm or some other parts to artificially bring the sights in. If the sights are not in, close your eye, shift your whole body, then open. Repeat till sights are in. Trigger off in a continuous and smooth action beyond the trigger point, much like cutting sushi.

Then again this is so basic, but as humans we tend to forget.
Gliderpilot

Thanks

Post by Gliderpilot »

You are exactly correct. It has been two years since I have shot and four since I have shot seriously. I have gotten sloppy and am not paying attention to fundamentals. I guess I am getting old and my memory for such things is not what it used to be. I took your advice and definitely had some improvement yesterday. I'll see what today's session brings. Thanks for the help.
crosshairs

Post by crosshairs »

I am glad to be of help.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I have had a simmillar problem for many years with the group split but the second group would be at about 4o'clock to the main group. Then I used a big mag scope on the rifle (40x) and found that my hold pattern was in the shape of a figure 8 but tipped to the left so that it ran from 10 to 4. most of the shots would be released at the top of the hold with about 25% at the bottom. Unfortunatly the hold pattern is now slightly larger than the 10 ring. Now after nearly 30 years I know one of the reasons my group is usually split!

Hope this is of help.

Al