shooting with out blinds.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

sagara

shooting with out blinds.

Post by sagara »

Pls explain me whether shooting with out blinds is good or bad for an Air pistol & free pistol shooter..
advantages..?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

1. According to the ISSF rules, you are only allowed one small blinder over non-shooting eye. There is a great disadvantage to training with equipment that is not allowed in competition, so we assume you are referring only to the 35mm non-shooting eye blinder?

2. The negatives of shooting with non-shooting eye open, or squinting, are somewhat significant, just from a "distraction/concentration" (mental focus) perspective. Therefore, you should at least shoot with the minimum allowed blinder for the non-shooting eye.

Am I misunderstanding?

Steve Swartz
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz wrote:....so we assume you are referring only to the 35mm non-shooting eye blinder?
Tut-tut, you mean 30mm Steve ;-)

Re: shooting with out blinds.

Post by Guest »

well I am shooting without blinds..
earlier I use to wear a very thin blind ( about 1/4 inch ) for non shooting eye. I need to know whether shooting with out blinds is good.
If not I can go back to a thin blind.

Rgds
Sagara
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:I need to know whether shooting with out blinds is good.
It's really a case of what you prefer.

If you can concentrate fully on the sights with both eyes open and no blinder than do that.

If you can concentrate better with both eyes open but using a narrow (maximum 30mm wide) blinder then do that.

I suspect (with no proof) that most people will prefer the blinder, but that doesn't mean it is best for you.
2650 Plus

Blinders

Post by 2650 Plus »

I agree completely with what David says. I suspecyt that if you want to project an image of a top international shooter you should use the blinder But if your score is most important just shoot with which ever works best. Lots of luck, Good Shooting Bill Horton
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

sagara wrote:Pls explain me whether shooting with out blinds is good or bad for an Air pistol & free pistol shooter..
advantages..?
You have posed the question in relation to pistol (i.e. standing) - peripheral vision is fairly important in relation to balance. I.e. interfering with the peripheral vision (side blinders) is not necessarily a good thing.

Spencer