Eley ammunition

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If you click on any of the brands it gives you specs for them.

As an example;

http://www.eley.co.uk/ammunition/products/team.aspx

Before they had Target Rifle, Target Pistol, ect. which were pretty close to the same I think they are just thinning ou the product line so there is less duplication and maybe more disinction between products.
slinger

Post by slinger »

Correct on the specs, Tenex Pistol and Match OSP are the ONLY ammos now at 1030 FPS, and match Pistol remains at 1000 FPS. That 1030 FPS sure was nice for free psitol. ALL the other ammos I see there now are 1085 FPS, and to me that's just too hot for free pistol. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I just seem to experience way too much recoil with hotter ammo.
slinger

My email from Eley

Post by slinger »

Hello Ron,
You are right, many of the older labels have been removed in the rationalisation for 2008...
-the old labels were just that, exactly the same basic product but with a different name,
-therefor pistol shooters can still have their same ammo, just a new name and colour on the label to get used to,
-we are however keeping up the same if not improving the quality control of all our products.
Regards,
Bert Brookes-CRO
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

slinger wrote:Correct on the specs, Tenex Pistol and Match OSP are the ONLY ammos now at 1030 FPS, and match Pistol remains at 1000 FPS. That 1030 FPS sure was nice for free psitol. ALL the other ammos I see there now are 1085 FPS, and to me that's just too hot for free pistol. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I just seem to experience way too much recoil with hotter ammo.
Look at the specs to the pistol ammos of course are tested with a shorter barrel (10"), the ammo that is not pistol specific is tested in a longer barrel thus the higher velocities.
Fred Mannis

FP Ammo

Post by Fred Mannis »

Richard,
Thanks for the URL for Eley.

Slinger,
As Richard points out, the 1085 f/s for non pistol specific ammo is presumably out of a rifle barrel and probably would be close to 1030 f/s out of a 10" FP barrel. I shoot Wolfe Match Extra and SK Pistol Match in my FP and like them. I shoot at both 25 yd and at 50 m and the SK at 25 yd has the same POI as the Wolfe at 50 m. Very convenient. The SK is listed at 1050 f/s (presumably out of a 10" barrel) and I believe the Wolfe is similar to the SK Pistol Match Special at 1123 f/s.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

It would be nice if they posted all the info on their site so people could compare. I know it use to be on either the Eley or Lapua website, the standard barrel for rifle ammo is 18" or 20".
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

There is no standard for measuring muzzle velocity from a pistol barrel. There is one (1) standard method for all .22 rim fire ammunition. So only data collected using the standard method can be compared reliably to other data.

Post by Guest »

On the RWS website they've listed the velocity on rifle/normal marked ammo in 65 cm barrels and the pistol marked ammo in 15 cm barrels. I really believe there is no significant difference between "pistol" and "rifle" rimfire cartridges. Just that the pistol people want to buy something with "pistol" in the name.

I shoot rifle (issf 50m) and buy the ammo that shoots the best groups (in the price range I want to buy) in my rifle whether it has rapid-fire, semi-auto, pistol or biathlon in the name! I suggest you do the same :-)

http://rws-munition.de/en/sports_rimfir ... m?navid=29

Howard
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Anonymous wrote:On the RWS website they've listed the velocity on rifle/normal marked ammo in 65 cm barrels and the pistol marked ammo in 15 cm barrels. I really believe there is no significant difference between "pistol" and "rifle" rimfire cartridges. Just that the pistol people want to buy something with "pistol" in the name.

http://rws-munition.de/en/sports_rimfir ... m?navid=29

Howard
I understand; but there is no industry standard way to measure velocity from a pistol, so data from one manufacturer can not be compared to another.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

You are right you can't make direct comparisions of the numerical data but as long as you know what length barrel it was tested you can make inferences to the various ammuntions.

example

mfg A =325m/s in a 25 cm barrel and mfg B= 330m in a 15cm barrel

I'd infer that Mfg B's is a little hotter.