Iris,what is it,how does it help?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Iris,what is it,how does it help?

Post by tsokasn »

Hello everyone.I see a lot of good shooters using an iris on their rear sights.How does it works and would it be a benefit for a new shooter?What brand do you prefer?
EdR

Post by EdR »

The iris allows you to control the amount of light let through to your eye, so you can set it to where you're most comfortable. With a non-adjustable one you might have a hard time getting the right distance for your rear sight for different environments or positions. Also you can get them with colors polarization and various other accessories. Centra, gehmann, anschutz are the top names, I use a walther which is I believe is made by centra. All the brands are basically the same and due the same thing.
Slowstdy

Post by Slowstdy »

I use mine to sharpen the target. I used to shoot with glasses to get the front sight sharp then the iris to sharpen the target. Now I use the Centra combo. I use the diopter to sharpen the front sight and the iris to sharpen the target, easy to adjust for any conditions.
2650 Plus

Rear sight apperture

Post by 2650 Plus »

I regret that I am not sure about your question. The information I have about rear sight appertures is as follows. Many of the appertures are adjustible and can be increased in size to allow more light into the eye. They can also be adjusted smaller, some to as small as .5 mm The smaller you can tolerate the more precisely you can allign the front sight in the rear. Just remember that it must allow you to center the front sight properly. Some adjustable appertures have color filters and a polarising lens included. I have found occasional need for the polarising filter but seldom any need for the various color filters.Other have a corrective lena incorporated and some supply a magnificating lens as well. Check prices with Anshutz , MEC, and Centra as all make or sell the devices I'm discussing . I hope I have been of some help, Good Shooting Bill Horton
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

and the aperture increases the depth of field (just as in a camera), at the expense of the amount of light coming through the aperture.

Spencer
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank's folks.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello again!I have a couple of questions again for iris.First a bit of stupid question.Does ISSF allow optic sights with magnificating lens?The other question is what would be best for me,an iris with magnificating lens combo or an iris and separate adjustable shooting spectacles.(i can't see far withoyt the help of my glasses or contact lens. 3.5/3.5both of my eyes.When i am shooting i use my normal glasses but they are a bit uncomfortable)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

tsokasn wrote:Hello again!I have a couple of questions again for iris.First a bit of stupid question.Does ISSF allow optic sights with magnificating lens?The other question is what would be best for me,an iris with magnificating lens combo or an iris and separate adjustable shooting spectacles.(i can't see far withoyt the help of my glasses or contact lens. 3.5/3.5both of my eyes.When i am shooting i use my normal glasses but they are a bit uncomfortable)
7.4.2.3.1 Correcting lenses and telescopes must not be attached to the rifle.
7.4.2.3.2 Correction glasses, and/or filters, may be worn by the shooter.

You might like to start here:
http://www.pilkguns.com/varga.shtml varga
http://www.champion-brillen.ch/index2.htm champion
http://www.pilkguns.com/aphp/glasses.htm knobloch

The smaller lens diameter is far more suitable for ISSF rifle

Spencer
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello Spencer,i know about shooting glasses and i intend to get a pair.So by rule 7.4.2.3.1 iris with magnify lens is not allowed?