New .22 Free rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

FarkWard

Post by FarkWard »

If you have a jr. program, the adjustable stocks are the only way to fit a club rifle to more than one shooter...and keep that fit for more than a few months.

Farkie
metermatch

Prone guns

Post by metermatch »

I completely agree with the above. A new shooter or a growing junior would be well served by the new adjustable guns. A new shooter will not know what the gun is supposed to fit like, and needs a year or two to figure it out.

But when a shooter reaches expert or master level, my thoughts are that there are some advantages for a prone-only shooter to get a dedicated (wood) stock with as few adjustments as needed (to minimize the number of things that can go wrong).

But I believe that the original thread was from someone who already was a expert or master level prone shooter, returning to shooting, and didn't need beginner-level info.

Billy Meek once chided me one day, while I was learning to shoot at about the sharpshooter level, for having most every Anschutz accessory available hanging from my rifle. As a new shooter, I was not immune to wanting to try all of the cool accessories and see how they worked.

A few months later, Steve Dember gave me some advice to make sure everything is tight, such as sights. Well sure enough, at the match that weekend, I started shooting all over the place. Couldn't hold a group. Then I figured out my front sight base had come loose. I just figured out a new use for loctite!

So the moral of the story is "get rid of all of the unnecessary CRAP"!

Jeff
RobertSW

Post by RobertSW »

Hi All,

Time to give an initial feedback.

I went for the 2013/2213 in the end. Final decision was based on the component elements of the stock being easily exchangable/customisable, and the assumption that Anschutz would have realised any fundamental design problems with the 2213 by now.
First impression out of the box was of the overall weight feeling more "compact" - the thing is less "chunky" than a wooden stock obviously. In "future fiddling plan" options exist here for fundamental balance tuning.
Spent 2 x 1 hour getting a ballpark set up (yeah right!!) before I start documenting a more systematic approach to the "future fiddling plan".
Temperatures are below freezing at the moment on the 50mtr firing point, so long sessions are not an option. First two visits to the range showed the grouping capability with Eley Match to be excellent. Getting 2 groups in the same place (in between a visit to the club room radiator to warm up) proved elusive.
I did have issues with the pistol grip and cheek piece moving - resolved by using a torque wrench at the recommended 6nm.
Very happy with the pistol grip/trigger relationship - no change planned.
Foreend/handstop position is likewise excellent with the only problem being the shallow profile altering my left elbow angle and causing discomfort (previously fractured elbow 25 years ago), but this is improving.
Butt hook is working operationally, but there will be more experimentation here - probably forever ;-)
Currently using a substantial cant in the rifle with the sights adjusted back to horizontal. To be reviewed.
Cheekpiece. Problem here. The sharp profile is new for me, but that does not seem to be the issue. Head position in relation to rear sight is not yet sorted.
First 2 attempts to shoot 6 cards were more of an endurance event with the temperature and the elbow pain, but returned 573 and 577 with the zero improving all the time. Given the conditions (-3 to -9 Cels. and grey) and the new and different rifle, that is fine. First bright and warmer days will return consistent 580+ sessions I have no doubt, especially now the zero seems to be sorted and the fiddling stopped for now.
Next up is an ammo test, a European Firearms Pass and a search for a coach for some fine tuning.
So in summary the new rifle/decent ammo has massively improved my group sizes, I am now very optimistic about pushing the average well into the 580's on my club range (which is virtually wind free). First regional competitions are in April and a 580 would win 50% of the regional competitions, so I have a nice but feasible challenge on my hands.
Never will get used to the tinny "ping" resonating in the stock after every shot though....
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I used a 1/16" thick adhesive backed foam pad to cover the cheek piece when I used an Al stock. This keeps the ridge in the cheek piece very distinguishable so as to get your head position the same way every time, without giving any discomfort.
methosb

Re: Prone guns

Post by methosb »

metermatch wrote:I completely agree with the above. A new shooter or a growing junior would be well served by the new adjustable guns. A new shooter will not know what the gun is supposed to fit like, and needs a year or two to figure it out.

But when a shooter reaches expert or master level, my thoughts are that there are some advantages for a prone-only shooter to get a dedicated (wood) stock with as few adjustments as needed (to minimize the number of things that can go wrong).

But I believe that the original thread was from someone who already was a expert or master level prone shooter, returning to shooting, and didn't need beginner-level info.

Billy Meek once chided me one day, while I was learning to shoot at about the sharpshooter level, for having most every Anschutz accessory available hanging from my rifle. As a new shooter, I was not immune to wanting to try all of the cool accessories and see how they worked.

A few months later, Steve Dember gave me some advice to make sure everything is tight, such as sights. Well sure enough, at the match that weekend, I started shooting all over the place. Couldn't hold a group. Then I figured out my front sight base had come loose. I just figured out a new use for loctite!

So the moral of the story is "get rid of all of the unnecessary CRAP"!

Jeff

This makes me smile. My front sight fell off the end of my barrel during a national competition once. The screw had threaded and I had not noticed. Learned a valuable lesson that day "Always make sure every screw is tight before every shoot".
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

LOL! Me too. At a USA outdoor shoot last August on the second day during kneeling I was winging them all over the place. Not being an amazing kneeling shooter I figured it was me. After the last target while putting my rifle on the bench I noticed that the front sight was about 1 mm away from falling off.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Jeff, great job in explaining the differences between wooden and alum stocks. Your arguements were the same ones I came up with this past week concerning whether to buy a 1913 in a wooden stock or to buy one in a 2013 stock. There were some other points (increased shot "ring"), but due to health reasons, I'm not going to be able shoot the rifle in offhand position and will be concentrating on prone.

As a result, I ordered a 1913, just like my son's and from the same order lot. He's shooting 3P and for the limited experience he has, he's been doing quite well with it. I think that if he had a 2013, he's be fiddling with the stock so much between positions that he'd never get it right.

One thing, I've got a catalog coming from Bill Earnest (Shooting Products) who offers replacement butt hook assemblies. I just need a simple one for prone work. I'll be taking my 4765 hook off and giving it to my son so he can pre-set it for a position and then simply slap it on when he needs it. Set up should be less than a minute between positions, since he keeps his cheek piece in the same place and then only has to move his handstop between prone and kneeling. He'll probably end up with one more so he has all three positions pre-set.

Todd Ellis
Alex1262

Post by Alex1262 »

I recently purchased a FWB 2700 with the aluminum stock and I could be happier with it. EVERYTHING on the gun is adjustable, from the grip, to the cheek rest, to the angle of the trigger. It has the removeable foregrip for the standing postion, which solves the main gripe i had with the Anschutz 1913 i was shooting before. im tall, about 6'1, so i didnt have enough space to move my hand in offhand.