best .22 ammo in a mod 64 ans

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

deliterman

best .22 ammo in a mod 64 ans

Post by deliterman »

trying to find the best ammo for mod 64 ans. with all this new stuff out i just don't know were to start. i have been away from shooting for about 10 years so a lot has changed in that time...i would like any help .thank you . deitermann.
jon_01

Re: best .22 ammo in a mod 64 ans

Post by jon_01 »

deliterman wrote:trying to find the best ammo for mod 64 ans. with all this new stuff out i just don't know were to start. i have been away from shooting for about 10 years so a lot has changed in that time...i would like any help .thank you . deitermann.
I have an anschutz rifle that I customized for use in smallbore rifle silhouette. My experience has been that there is no way of knowing before hand what the best ammo will be for a rimfire rifle, since each rifle will vary with the particular brand of ammo it likes best (its a unique match for each rifle). I tried about 14 of the best known ammo brands for silhouette by shooting 10 five-shot groups at fifty yards for each brand tested (off a bench rest, actually a carpeted block of wood). The variability between ammo brands in 5-shot groupings was pretty significant. My rifle likes RWS BR-50 the best, and that's what I use. Average was .28 inch 5-shot groups at 50 yards. The worst was Lapua Master, average.72 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Your experience is likely to be completely different than mine. If you decide to test ammo, clean bore when changing to different ammo brands. First shot or two will be flyers. Here is a good target for testing.
http://proveit.www8.50megs.com/targets/50yd-square.pdf

cheers,

Jon
HOWARD

.22 ammo

Post by HOWARD »

Hi Jon, thanks for that info, good place to start. deliterman
deliterman

.22 ammo

Post by deliterman »

Hi again, has anyone have any luck with sk match??thanks. deliterman
big52

Re: ammo 64 anschutz

Post by big52 »

I am much like you as I have not purchased any match ammunition in over 10 years, interesting thing was that my 64 liked PMC target, it was a cheap korean made cartridge and the gun used to shoot like perfect one hole groups at 50 yards with the stuff, I think next best stuff I used was all of the RWS ammunition from the R50 on down to the Target stuff all did well in mine also. I have been looking at the SK stuff as well, but I think my purchase would be for RWS, but here again is like someone else said you would just have to try different ammunition in your gun to see what happens, I usually buy about 1-2 boxes of something and that will usually tell you without buying a carton and finding out you have bought stuff that is not good.