READING WIND FLAGS

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

deliterman

READING WIND FLAGS

Post by deliterman »

Hi, new to this, 1st time here, i would like to know abuot reading -"caldwell vector wind flags" or any info about reading wind flags. hlep. deliterman.
howard

wind flags

Post by howard »

looks by the responce that no one uses wind flags huh ?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Wind Flags indicate wind velocity and direction. Wind affects the path of the bullet in flight. Depending on the bullet, bullet speed, range, and atmospheric conditions there will be an amount of adjustment required (called "windage") to the sights in order to move the desired mean point of impact back to the aim point.

You need to figure out 1) how to determine wind direction and velocity from the flags; and 2) what amount of correction in required for your bullet, speed, range, etc. for various wind diredctions and speeds.

Typically, the wind flag points away from the direction the wind is comimng from. Velocity is calibrated to the material used in the flag- generally, the higher the angle of the flag (vertical = 0 mph, horizontal = calibration max of flag or higher). Intermediate values are interpolated based on the angle of the flag.

The shooter must also consider that the "crosswind" is read to adjust the sights. The wind effect on the tail/off the nose can be typically ignored.

Tables/charts for reading wind flags (as well as detailed manuals for rifle marksmanship) can generally be found at any good "competition" gunshop. Many of these have web sites, including our host. Call a gun store that caters to competition marksmen and they can help you out! Alternately, some information is available on the 'net and in your public library.

Steve Swartz

Post by Guest »

You could do worse than to start here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/windreading.html

Goggl'ing up "reading wind flags" returned over 100 relevant hits in about 10 seconds . . .

Steve
2650 Plus

Reading wind flags aint the whole story

Post by 2650 Plus »

Another method of determining wind velosity and direction is by reading mirage. this technique is absolutely essential in long range rifle shooting and valuable in small bore as well.The shooter sets his scopes focus at the half way point to the target and watches the heat waves rising , the slightest wind will cause the waves to move in a horizontal direction and they will be visible as they move across the shooters vision. The shape and velocity of the waves give the shooter the information he needs to dial in the correct setting for his sight and keep the group centered. Yhere is a lot more to this than I can provide here so look for Tubbs Book or those by Jim Owens[ another Marine] I am ARMY my self.