What's the best way to fill shooting rest bags?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

f1gpstar

What's the best way to fill shooting rest bags?

Post by f1gpstar »

I just bought some Caldwwell Dead Shot shooting rest bags and was thinking there may be something better than sand? Any suggestions would much appreciated. Bill

Post by Guest »

beans or rice - DRY
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Sand is the best - mainly because it is so heavy. Just make sure it is dry.

I went to the local pet store and bought some "reptile sand" to fill my bags with. Not quite as good as the heavy sand that Sinclair international sells but still preatty good.
GCSInc

Fill Media

Post by GCSInc »

Anything like beans or rice especially in a cloth or leather bag will react to humidity and eventially will grow, attract Bugs, mice, etc... or mildue. If weight is an issue, lead shot, BBs are good. If you just want mass, and not so much weight, plastic beads (it's what we fill kneeling rolls with) are great. We sell them by the freezer bag full if you need some.

Roy McClain
Spalding Co 4H
(678) 772-8185 cell
Hemmers

Re: Fill Media

Post by Hemmers »

GCSInc wrote:Anything like beans or rice especially in a cloth or leather bag will react to humidity and eventially will grow, attract Bugs, mice, etc... or mildue.
Never mind the bugs. Get it wet and the rice'll expand and pop your bags open!

A club near mine uses empty .22lr cases. Works really well, better than sand I think. My club prefers to use sand though on the basis that 4 bags (1 per lane) full of cases are worth about £80 (~$160) at today's scrap metal prices and we could use some new kit!
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Shredded rubber tires work great, check with landscaping folks. Biggest advantage is the kneeling rolls aren't too heavy.

Joe
GCSInc

Re: Fill Media

Post by GCSInc »

GCSInc wrote:We sell them by the freezer bag full if you need some.

Roy McClain
Spalding Co 4H
(678) 772-8185 cell
Did I memtion we have 23 tones? We get $5.00 for the big freezer bag size. Money goes to buy targets and pellets.