Adjustable front Aperature question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan F

Adjustable front Aperature question

Post by Jordan F »

I am considering buying an adjustable front aperature for my feinwerkbau airgun and .22 and have some questions.

First of all - is it worth it? Or would it be better off buying seperature aperature inserts?

Seconly; if I do get one - are the cheap (i.e $90-$100) ones any good? OR - Should I spend some more money on one where you can adjust the size of the ring?

Any one have a model for the 22mm foresight with adjustments of around 2.5-5mm that they would reccomend?

Thanks!
Jordan
peepsight

Adjustable front fore sight

Post by peepsight »

Hi

I use a 22mm CENTRA adjustable fore sight on my Steyr. Be careful though because you get a choice of a 1.4mm thick ring or a 1.6mm ring.
I prefer the thicker one. Centra also supply a ring thickening adjustable fore sight but its lots of money. Check out their web site.

Gehmann also supply similar products at the same quality but slightly cheaper, check out their web site.

If its worth mentioning, i have gone back to a simple perspex [plastic] fore sight element and never change it so i may have wasted my money? My scores have improved with both but more so with the simple plastic element.

Peepsight
Dean Peterson

Post by Dean Peterson »

I think you may find that for ANY 3P work, an adjustable front aperature will be VERY helpful. Many shooters will use a slightly larger front aperture for OH than they will for prone etc. And, it is very handy to just dial in your specific size, or even make changes as conditions change etc etc.

With International Air Rifle - it's just OH, and you may not find much need to change aperatures once you grow fond of a perticular size.

If you shoot Precision 3P air -then the adjustable aperture could be helpful.

Mostly, for smallbore, I prefer a thinner front aperature ring than is available with the adjustable style. Just my preference.......

But for 10 Meter work - the thicker ring on the adjustable units seems just fine to me. The 10 meter bull appears larger to me than the smallbore bulls, maybe this has something to do with it.

Regardless of the model - cleaning can be tedious so take good care of it, dust caps are a very good idea.
Hap Rocketto

adjustable front aperture

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Jordan,

I have both adjustable front apertures and metal skeleton apertures and use them both, but to different purposes.

When shooting 3P indoors I use adjustable front aperture fro much the same reason as Dean. Indoor light can be tricky and to be able to make a quick and convenient is nice. Also indoor facilities trend to be cleaner than outdoor and the plastic stays cleaner. This reduces the need to clean to, perhaps, a yearly, event.

On an outdoor range I use skeleton apertures because the sun moves and sometimes it is in a position to reflect off of the plastic or shine at such an angle as to make part of the black ring disappear. A second reason is that if there is mist or rain it can settle on the plastic and affect the sight picture.

Perhaps you might want to borrow one and give it a trial? If you like it, buy one. Should you purchase one, and find it does not suit your need, you can probably sell it at little or no loss.

Regards,

Hap
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have one on my FWB P70 (gehmann adj front iris) and am planing on changing to a fixed front aperture. With air rifle I don't see the need to change frequently enough to merit the additional complexity. For smallbore where lighting, distances, and positions change I think it is a different story and they are useful. My plan is to sell the Gehman front iris that is on my P70 (22mm) and buy one of the centra glass front apertures. If you are interested in purchasing this iris email me.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Good tips about using one for 3p and not for just one position (air standing). I allready have a 4.0 aperature size for air and find it seems to work fine so it would probably be better off just leaving it alone as mentioned. I like the idea of changing aperature size for the different positions though (standing/kneeling/prone) for my .22 free rifle and sport rifle shooting.

Any more comments would be great!

Pdeal; I sent you an email.