888 Reliability

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

888 Reliability

Post by Guest »

Talked to a guy who helps with a NRA shooting club yesterday. Said he could not keep his 888's shooting---Lot's of problems.

Anyone else have similar experiences w/888's. Just before purchasing an 888 or 887 and would appreciate feedback.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

It would be interesting to know what kind of problems he has had. In six years I've had almost none with our club 888's and 887's.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Between club and some of my shooters personal rifles ... all 888's (some converted to 887's) ... over 20 in all I've never had any issues with the actions/barrels.

I had one delaminated stock a few years ago that Daisy promptly replaced.

I too would like to know what issues he had. I've got XS-40's I have to really baby as they have a lot of parts that can break and strip.

The 888's and 887's are tough rifles...
cmj

Post by cmj »

We also have had no problems with 888 in three years. The rifle club had one in the safe they never used and after at least a year and a half was still holding pressure even. We do not loosen the cylinder until it needs refilling.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

No problems with our four 4-5 year old 888s.
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

When i shot sporter, the only thing that I even ever saw happen to an 888 was the accesory rail pull out of the stock. Took no time to put some more screws in it.
XS 40's ive heard have a problem with leaking cylinders (3 of the 5 my club has)
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Sedgwick County has sent 10% to 30% of their cylinders back to Daisy at some point for repair. We usually twist the tops off, or blow the seals out. We do use a scale to check fill weight. I'd offer more data, but I'm not the one doing this part .

Mike
Wichita KS
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

In my experience with the guns they were very reliable, however, I have had a few of the cyclinder ends come unscrewed as you mentioned. I have a few suggestions.

1. Be very careful not to overtighten the cylinder into the gun. It makes it hard to unscrew and can cause the "nut end" to come unscrewed first. Once this problem first happened we were more careful about this and haven't had it happen very much since. I also oil the valve end when I fill them so there is always a touch of oil on them. Not much oil, just a shot of Rem-Oil or something like it.

2. The fitting is sealed with an o-ring which usually breaks when the fitting comes unscrewed. I went to an industrial supply house and aquired a few o-rings to match the originals. Now it's a simple fix when one does come unscrewed. Put in the new o-ring and tighten the stew out of it.

I haven't had to fix one of these in a year or so.

Sam
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

The burst seal on the nut end and the o-rings on the filling end are available from Wal-mart in the paint ball section. Broken burst disks are almost always a result of overfilling. Broken o-rings (on the filling end) just happen especially if the cylinder gets screwed in part way and then backed out. Keep a pack in your equipment box - they're relatively cheap. When one breaks make sure there are no remaining pieces in the gun. Both of these things are common on these guns and paint ball guns.
TWP

Post by TWP »

We have about 8 of the 888's.

Other than o-rings and a few burst disks or the ends coming off the CO2 cylinders we haven't had any problems with them.

All those things seem to fall under the normal wear and tear parts replacement.