foot pain in standing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

asmir

foot pain in standing

Post by asmir »

Hi everyone,
I had always had a slight discomfort after a long shooting session in standing but I did not think much of it. For last year or so it has come to the point where it is starting to affect my performance as the pain is unbearable.
I had thought that it was due to the shoe width, but I am not so sure about that. I had also started using custom made orthopedic inserts, but they seem to make no improvement in the discomfort department, although I think they do improve the stability.
Naturally, the floor surface makes a difference, thus carpet being slightly more comfortable then concrete.
Has anyone had similar problem and did you figure out any way to deal with, or help it out. I am not expecting to get rid of the discomfort all together, but any improvement will be welcome at this point.
Thanks
Regards
Asmir
randy1952

Foot

Post by randy1952 »

This may sound weird, but I had a problem with my foot going numb with some pain later. I thought it was the foot inserts or the boot, but finally narrowed down to my socks. If I put on a thick pair of socks where they are snug and then by slipping my boots on it forced the socks on even more, which put more pressure on my foot. The socks don't even have to be real thick for me to feel the extra pressure. What I haven't figured out if it was cutting down on the circulation or if it was just putting pressure on the nerves. I finally solved the problem by putting my foot in the sock until there was about an inch left empty and then putting my boots on which forced the sock on the rest of the way put not to the point where it was putting extra pressure on the foot. I don't know if this will help you since I don't know what kind and where the pain is occurring.
Joe66

Shooting boots?

Post by Joe66 »

In the beginning I shot off-hand in my running shoes. After about 20 minutes, the foot discomfort begins and toward the end of the match, PAIN. I thought this is normal. One day I decide to buy a pair of shooting shoes, thinking that it will make my hold more stable, but it didn’t, instead most of the foot discomfort went away. I said wow that is great so I try putting a set of thin gel insole into my shooting boots. Wow it is even more comfortable. Never went back to non-shooting shoes again.

Yeah, don’t tie on the shoe laces to tight. Let it be a little bit loose because your feet will expand as the match continues.
peepsight

Foot pain in the standing position

Post by peepsight »

Hi asmir

I too get pins and needles in my feet about a 1/4 the way in to a 60 shot match. I use a the Sauer boots which fit great. I have to sit down frequently during the match. I tried all sorts of socks and insoles in the boots but no better.
I changed over to a pair of ordinary flat soled leather walking shoes and the problem disapeared. Not only did my shooting improve but my scores improved as well. I cannot put my finger on the problem, but fellow shooters have also complained of foot pain using shooting boots and of different makes. This needs looking into by some body more expert than me.

Peepsight
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

Well, not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but there definately is something that happens to your feet when the pressure of weight is on them for an extended period of time. I just kinda lightly pick each of my feet up one at a time (not actually off the ground, just taking like 90 percent of the weight off) and it lets the blood back to them. I also have a tendency to stand on my toes slightly in standing (its not a good thing, i just do) so i have to pick my toes up every now and then.
peepsight

Foot pain in the standing position

Post by peepsight »

Hi

I have come to the conclusion that shooting boots have a limited advantage in the shooting positions. Firstly, in the prone position they are no advantage. In the standing position they have some advantage but its the kneeling position where i think they have most advantage.

In the book Air Gun Shooting, they strongly advise that the standing shooter keeps his/her weight away from the toes and more down through the middle of the foot with emphasis on the heels. I have found that all the boots i have tried out tend to throw your weight on to the toes.

A well established stance should in theory keep the weight off the toes but this does not always work and you can find your weight creeping back towards the toes during a match.

I guess this could be part of the problem with foot pain plus the design of some shooting boots could be better with regards to weight distribution on the sole of the boot.