rule check: partial grip overhang for centerfire pistols

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dlb

rule check: partial grip overhang for centerfire pistols

Post by dlb »

I've been considering the Fung K-Frame grips for my Model 14 - http://funggrip.jnb.com/revolver.html

One nice feature of these is that they offer a cut-away to the grip overhang which enables one-handed cocking in SA.

I'd like to use the same grips for both BE and ISSF centerfire competition.

But Fung's literature contains the following statement which implies that this cut-away violates ISSF rules.

A recess is standard for single action cocking or a full overhang can be provided for full double action or International shooting.

I haven't found an explicit prohibition of this design in the ISSF centerfire pistol rules.

Can anyone confirm whether a partial overhang is legal under ISSF rules?

Thanks
Mike Taylor

Grip for ISSF

Post by Mike Taylor »

Full overhang isn't required by ISSF rules, but the cut-away grip is 'required' by NRA BE in that, if you intend to shoot 'single-action' you can not use your non-shooting hand to cock the hammer - you have to use the thumb of your shooting hand. You can not get your thumb up to the hammer with a full overhang - hence the cut-away.
ISSF permits cocking the hammer with your non-shooting hand. Thus a full overhang is no handicap. You can still use the cut-away grip for ISSF. Then you will have the option of cocking with either hand.
Of course, if you shoot 'double-action', the difference is moot.
A word of caution:Randall Fung's grips for NRA BE (Conventional Pistol) might be too large to fit in the ISSF size-control box. Randall offers an ISSF option for his grips (sized to fit in the "box"). I expect he could provide either over-hung or cut-away grips in ISSF size.
Mike T.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It is difficult to tell from the photographs but they are probably concerned about the top left hand section of rule 8.17.0

You need to look at the 2nd Printing, the 1st Printing had different drawings.

edit note: There could also be a problem with "encircling the hand", 8.16.0a&b, if any part of the thumb can go higher than the overhang.
dlb

Post by dlb »

A word of caution:Randall Fung's grips for NRA BE (Conventional Pistol) might be too large to fit in the ISSF size-control box. Randall offers an ISSF option for his grips (sized to fit in the "box"). I expect he could provide either over-hung or cut-away grips in ISSF size.
I've just gotten word from him. He'd confirmed the same, and that he'll need to see the dimensions of my hand to determine whether the ISSF style w/ cut-away is workable. Apparently the position of the overhang relative to the bore line is different for either style. A BE/ISSF mix would need to be customized a bit. But it seemed, from his email, that they've had similar requests previously.