Rear leg in standing position

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan F.

Rear leg in standing position

Post by Jordan F. »

When I am in the standing position should be right leg (rear leg as I am right handed) be locked (with minium muscle tension)? And should my front leg be locked as well with minium muscle tension? (sometimes I find my quadricept muscle I believe it is tenses up a bit)

Thank!
Jordan
leg stiffner

Post by leg stiffner »

Stifness in your legs depends on your rifle-body weight distribution and your posture (more importantly your level of upper body torque). If you are weight distribution is 80 on the supporting leg and 20 on the back leg, then the stiffness does not matter a whole lot.

You need certain amount of stifness in your back and legs to retain your position (if it is loose, then your position will collapse). However, do not voluntarily lock your knees or stiffen your legs through muscles but let it be naturally. When you torque your upper body, depending on the position of the back leg, the leg will automatically gets "stiffened" naturally. Also, remember, stiffening the back leg is also a matter of comfort and confidence - many of the top shooters, epecially women have their back leg bent but shoot great.