building vision stamina

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dlb

building vision stamina

Post by dlb »

Are there any known techniques for improving the stamina of the faculties of vision relevant to shooting? - e.g. focus duration and acuity, suppression of the non-dominant eye etc..

I'm familiar w/ a few techniques that are useful to restore these during a shooting session, but don't know of any ways to strengthen them so as to delay the onset of fatigue.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Programs called "Vision Training" etc. used to be fairly widely available around ROTC campuses back in the 1970s and 1980s . . . and then various surgical vision correction techniques and soft contact lenses took over. "Used To Could" just look in the yellow pages of major metropolitan areas in north america and find various Optometrists/Opthalmologists who would offer the service.

[Shout out to Target Talker Tim Kraft- know where the discipline stands on "vision training nowadays?]

I still have a bunch of optical training aids around here somewhere from back when i was trying to hold on to my pilot slot . . .

I also note a couple of companies advertising in American Rifleman etc. magazines and on the web.

Steve Swartz
Fred Mannis

Eye Exercises

Post by Fred Mannis »

Some interesting stuff in here:

"An Insight to Sports" Dr. Wayne Martin, O.D. SportsVision 1984 Fourth edition 1993

Emphasis is on trapshooting and golf, but there is a chapter on eye exercises.