RWS Daina model 75 target seal.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

P.B.G.

RWS Daina model 75 target seal.

Post by P.B.G. »

Hello, I have come across an RWS 75.

I believe the seal has broken down in the rifle.

Is there any source for this part anymore or are they all gone/super expensive and rare?

Is the seal shared in any other model?

Thanks for any help.

Post by Guest »

Umarex should have them - 479-646-4210
http://www.umarexusa.com/default.aspx

The 75's are actually pretty well supported.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Just a heads up. Have you tried to rebuild one? I have done two with help from someone who has rebuilt them for 15 years. They are not like a fwb 80 with just one compression ring. Not a project for a person if they haven't got experience with this area. Also, Umarex can be very picky with who they sell their seals too. They usually give you a line like' we don't sell the parts but, we will repair your rifle with the parts. Their fee is $149 plus shipping. I would be curious if they sell you the seals.
P.B.G.

Post by P.B.G. »

The recoiless system does seem like it adds some complexity, but when it gets down to it, its really just two balanced pistons that travel opposite direction, linked together with the two gear drives at the sides to make sure that they travel and most importantly stop at the same time.

And I do realize it is entirely possible they do not want to sell the seal to anyone. But its always worth a shot.
ToroTVR

Diana 75 piston seal

Post by ToroTVR »

Hi P.B.G.
I have just registered with this forum and this is my first posting. I own a Diana 75 UT01 match rifle and a Diana model 10 match pistol both of which I bought new in 1983 and 1981 respectively ( although here in the UK they were branded as "Original" ).
The reason for my reply to your posting is that after a 23 year gap in my airgunning, I retrieved the two guns from the loft where they have been cocooned for the last 23 years or so only to find that they wouldn't even blow the pellet out of the end of the barrel! As I have been out of the airgun scene for such a long time I contacted my local airgun shop "Manchester Airguns" who informed me that he was 99% certain that the piston seals had perished, apparently it was a design flaw in the type of material used for the seals and no matter how well you look after them or how little you use them, the seals WILL perish.
I was advised that seals, springs etc are still available for them and that they are made of modern synthetic materials that do not degrade so rapidly! As both of my guns are in immaculate as new condition I had them sent away to the UK importers who still service/repair these weapons. Although Manchester Airguns have a resident gunsmith and do repairs, he advised sending them to the importers as they are complex weapons that require special tools.
They were both sent away to Frank Dyke & Co Ltd in London ( who used to be the UK importer of the Diana/Original range ) and after a wait of approx 3 weeks I got them back last week completely serviced with new springs and seals. Both weapons are literally like new as, due to circumstances, they were "cocooned" shortly after purchase. The price charged for the parts and service was £90 per gun ( approx $180 ).
I am chuffed to bits having them operational again after so many years and am about to join a local shooting club again.
Parts are available for these weapons, however , due to their complex nature I would advise you consult a competent gunsmith to re-seal and service them.
I hope you manage to get sorted as the 75 is a beautifully engineered classic match rifle that deserves to be used.
Good luck.
Andy.

Post by Guest »

Not a project for a person if they haven't got experience with this area.
That's a valid point. I wouldn't just tear the rifle down and hope for the best. While I'm not an expert on the Giss system, I'm pretty sure that the pinion gears are passive - i.e. they're not driving anything. They synchronize the pistons.

Umarex's price seems a bit high - any idea on what Randy Bimrose or another match 'airsmith' might charge?
P.B.G.

Post by P.B.G. »

I would not consider myself an expert in air rifles. I am very confident when working on shotguns, and on rifles.

The only air rifles I have rebuilt have been Gamo and CZ products, and I am sure simpler. And a few paintball markers.

In this case the issue is that its my roommate who owns the RWS. It does not function and he would like it to. But its one of those issues where someone gets something for free and doesn't want to stick 100+$ into it to get it functioning. Myself, I would probably send it out.

But if he decides he wants to tear into it, I will assist.

I note that a few additional tools will probably be needed for the project, including some that I would make if we can locate the seal, including a spring compressing device, and to make some spanners to remove the side gear axles.

Thanks for the help, I do not know the way he will want to go with his air rifle. We shall see.

Post by Guest »

this might help then - http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/diana75teardown.htm

good luck