Hips over-rotated

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Iuri

Hips over-rotated

Post by Iuri »

Everybody says that the hips must be absolutely parallel to the firing line, but my shooting position doesn't alow me to do this. I place the left foot about 15 centimeter to the right, and 80% of my weight in the left leg. It makes the hips go almost 30-40 degree to the right. The legs hurt a little, and the left foot start burning, but the swaying is nicely reduced. I tried to change the shooting position, but it sways like hell and it's almost impossible to find the zero point without backing to the first position. Do you guys have any sugestions?
peepsight

Hip rotation

Post by peepsight »

It is good if you can keep your hips parallel to the target but not all of us can achieve this for various reasons.
Being a over weight round the waist or not being very flexible due to lack of exercise or being un fit.
Do some limbering up exercises and you may find this more achievable.
It may take several weeks of exercises.
Having said all this, i don't think keeping your hip rotation parallel is set in stone and variations of leg and hip position to make your firing position more comfortable is perfectly acceptable. Its what works for you that counts.
I know several world class shooters who do not shoot with hips parallel to the target!

Peepsight
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

I agree with peepsight, that body confirmation will often dictate the hip and foot aligngment in standing. However, you need to seek a more balanced position. 80% of weight on one leg is not optimal.

Next time you stand around talking, or walk up to someoneto talk, notice how your feet are positioned and your weight distribution. This is your natural, relaxed state, and should be close to where you are during shooting.

All you have to do after finding your natural foot position is retain it, and lift your arms to a shooting position. Now look over your front hand to find your beginning NPA. You may need to shift your upper body away from the target, but do so without twisting or tilting, while maintaining the lower body position.
isuguncoach

hip rotation

Post by isuguncoach »

Iuri,
Think of a positive, with the hip rotation you are comfortable with, you have a much wider hip area to position the supporting elbow. This is helping slow down the barrel motion, and is a more stable position. The stress is the leg may be from your trying to force your leg to be straight, don't lock the leg by force. I would make my choice based on comfort in the standing position.

Joe
Iuri

Post by Iuri »

Thank very much all you guys for the answers, I will try to balance more the weight and change the foot position. I don't think that parallel hips is a good position for me, but I'm shure that the position I'm shooting now isn't the best . Here in Brazil, target shooting is just borning again, and I see that this forum is a very good knowledge suport. I'll recomend it for my range mates.