Parent of new shooter (need advice)

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Parent of new shooter (need advice)

Post by Guest »

I stumbled over website while searching for shooting technique information.

I have a teen that just started shooting sporter. Not mentioning where or what organization, because I appreciate the opportunity, after reading some post here I think he is just shooting , if you know what I mean. In particular I ask if he is getting any shooting or technique instruction and he says know (but we all know how teen are). While reading the post on teaching standing I noticed they (his club) started from I believe the prone position, but the program is not strong and they need shooters!

I have not ever shot air rifle as a sport but shoot as a hunter. Due to physical limitations I would not make a good 3P shooter or coach in a shooting situation (maybe ok on standing).

Does anyone have any advice for me to help my teen along? Books where I can find info helpful etc. I have looked in our area for clubs, camps, other shooters etc. have not found any.

We are looking into a CMP camp for the summer.

Help and encourage me if you can!!!
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

For BASIC information order the "NRA Junior Shooting" book from NRA. $7.00 I think. After that there are lots of books out there, but I usually sugest "The New Position Rifle Shooting" by Pullum & Hannenkrat as a good choice to start with after the basic book.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I can give you perspective as a 4-H coach.

I have new shooters that come into the program at different age levels and physical abilities. (Novice 8-10 - Junior 11-13 and Senior 14-19)

I try an look at each kid and determine which would be the best for them in terms of what will keep them interested. Younger and smaller shooters I almost always start in prone as the rifles (Even the XS-40's) are a touch large for them .... some of the older/larger shooters I try and start in standing.

I am working with a group of NJROTC shooters now that are relatively new and have only been shooting for a few weeks, and their first match is this weekend. (Freshman thru Senior) ... In this instance I've concentrated heavily on teaching them prone, then kneeling ... I want them to get points in their first match and not feel "blown away". They are practicing standing now, but I'm not emphasizing it other than to get additional points.

After this weekend we have another month until a Cup match, so in the next few weeks, we'll then concentrate mostly on the standing position.

So while I mostly go on how the gun fits a shooter and how heavy it is, I also try and take into account the near term matches to tailor the learning and practice sessions.

The two books that Pat McCoy suggested are very good books .... use the NRA for the basics, and then I'd also suggest "Air Rifle Shooting" by Heinz Reinkemeier, Gaby Bühlmann and Maik Eckhardt. While it is technical, it has great photos of the positions that are used today. Then the "New Position Rifle Shooting" as more of a set of essays on different aspects of the sport ... more cerebral ... but again ... all these are great learning tools (for both the shooter and the coach!)