New Sport Shooter

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

New Sport Shooter

Post by Guest »

My son just began 10 meter shooting in NJROTC. Air rifle is new to both of us. I have tried to search and read info on the web and contacted gun clubs etc. for info.. I have a few beginner questions if I may, about rifle choice.

I am mostly looking at daisy due to their youth shooter program and the CMP( any other companies have discount programs for youth etc)?

I have been looking at the 753,888, and 887 Avanti's:

Which of these rifles seem to be the best choice (you think) and why?

I am leaning toward the pneumatic mostly due to filling equipment and the cost of it. What is needed to fill the 888 or 887? What is the approx cost of this equipment?

Are the pneumatics any more accurate than the co2?

Don't think Daisy has a compressed air fill should I be looking at some and why? Don't you need a scuba set-up to fill these?

What about the stock, sight, and other differences on the three models I mentioned, what is worth noting?

I see the mention of rails, what are these used for?

Please help with any beginner information I need!!! I am having a serious overload.

New Sport Shooter

Post by Guest »

my son shoots a daisy 888, filling the tank is no problem you can get a fill kit for around $45 and a tank of co2 from a soda dist. dirictions are included with the fill kit

the rails are for an adj. hand stop that the sling hooks to, sling is included with the 888

the down side to co2 is cold weather, the up side is you don't have to pump the gun for your son. they are pretty accurate and we have not had any problems with ours.

the sights are quite good for beginners and you get different size inserts for the front sight

i can't really compare the 888 to the other rifles you mentioned since we have not used them

in closing , the 888 is the rifle that my son used to win the 2007 4H youth target pellet rifle class with at the Missouri 4H state shoot
cmj

Post by cmj »

If he is in ROTC he is probably big enough to pump a 753, but, since almost all competitions are 3 Position it is not the way to go. The 887 has a few differences in the stock that are beneficial, but if cost is a factor then go with the 888 and build it up per the rules in the grip area and cheek rest area. Styrofoam and masking tape work fine. As he gets better then can look for the legal "Gamo" sight , come up on EBAY once in awhile.
Besides the fill adapter you will need to get a tank 5 or 10 pound CO2, were about $70, and about $10 to fill it every 4-5 months depending on use. 888 and 887 get about 250 or so shots per fill. Also an extra CO 2 cartridge is a good idea about $45 I think also. A cheap postal scale also needed to prevent overfilling.
Have never had a problem with temperature extremes with the Daisy. but the Crossman 2000 CO2 rifle does not like to shoot in hot weather, even with a new cartridge in it.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I'm assuming that he is going to be a sporter shooter for a while.

Go with the 887, a fill adapter kit, and possibly an extra cylinder.

I coach a bunch of shooters with the 888 based guns and I have a 20lb CO2 tank (make sure it is a DIP-TUBE tank). This costs me about $17 to fill (maybe once every 6 weeks).

Go to Champions Choice for the removeable handstop (CC#4748) ... Daisy is now shipping the wide slings so you are good there.

For a good junior glove, I like the Monard gloves. They also have kneeling rolls and I like those as well as the Champions Choice ones.

Don't worry about the info overload... that is normal, especially in a sport with lots of technical equipment. Ask away and you'll get plenty of help here on this site.

Our club has a website (VC4HSS.com) and in the air rifle section I try and keep info up to date for the parents
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Some of our JROTC units here only shoot the sporter pneumatic guns such as the 853/753. I understand that they have matches where only this type gun is allowed or at least it is a separate class. So, first, check with his coach.

If precharged guns are used (co2 or compressed air) then I agree with JH - go with an 887. It is CO2 powered like the 888 but has a much better stock configuration for adult size (including most teenagers) shooters.

We get an extra cylinder for each gun so we don't have to haul a large tank or worry about filling at matches or practice. If you don't want to get a bulk tank and fill adapter right now, the Daisy cylinders can be filled by any place that fills paint ball guns. Either way, get a postal scale (about $40 from wal-mart or office supply). It is the only way to determine how much is in the cylinder. I have our kids weigh all cylinders before putting them in their gun. For various reasons they have been found to be empty when we thought they were full.

Just my $0.02.

Learn the fundamentals and get good trigger time. Have fun.