Equipment / clothing priority.........

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

2many7s

Equipment / clothing priority.........

Post by 2many7s »

OK I am a low level adult "club" shooter (83 to 89 air rifle standing) I have a nice rifle, spotting scope, and off hand stand and basicly junk clothing. Shorts, hiking boots, Champ Choice glove (ok's not junk) and a cheap green canvas Creedmore starter jacket. Should I spend my next little bit of money on a better jacket (@250.00 Gehman level), or off the shelf pants shch as the Gehman (again less than 250.00) or on boots? I would love to have the Kurt Thune set but I donk have that kind of bucks....... I know I need it all but that is not really an option
TomN

Post by TomN »

Go for the jacket first, then the boots. Pants are a help, but there are two things to keep in mind. First, the Powers-That-Be keep talking about changing the rules on pants, so what's legal today may not be legal after the Bejing Olympics. Second, pants can be a pain. It can be inconvenient to change from street clothes into shooting pants (especially if you are in a local league where there is no changing area and you are firing less than a 60-shot course) and they are uncomfortable when you are not actually in position. But they undeniably help, so if you aspire to high-level competition you will probably get them eventually.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

In all honesty I have a lot of trouble shooting without pants and jacket and boots to a certain extent. I would day jacket would be the most important for standing followed closely by pants and boots give you a couple points as well.

In my opinion definately worth getting proper clothing, especially if you have invested in a good rifle, etc.

I use a standard canvas anschutz AHG jacket and anschutz boots and another no name pair of pants. For me they are good enough (then again I am not shooting consitant scores of 560+ or better). Once you start paying big dollars for good clothing the improvement probably wouldn't be a whole lot but definatley could be the difference between winning and not.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I suggest looking at Monard Clothing. I have the Monard Standard jacket with some old beater $50 pants that i picked up from Neal Johnson. The Monard Standard and even Starter clothing is priced right and is really good for the money. Our Jr. club has bought Monard Jr. jackets exclusively. These are pretty much the same design as the starter stuff. I am very satisfied. What size feet do you have? When I see a good deal on boots I often buy them and keep them for a local Jr. that may need them. i wound up buying two pairs of huge anschutz boots. I'd give you a deal on one of those pairs. I think they are like size 12.
peepsight

Shooting clothing/health and safety

Post by peepsight »

Hi

I agree with all the comments, for the standing position a well fitting canvas jacket is essential, canvas pants are also quite good but i don't think they are as essential as a jacket. The gains in scores are much less.
A good well padded glove is also essential, but boots in my opinion are marginal in score improvement.

With rumours from the ISSF that they are looking at pants and as one guest said, things may change after the next Olympics. I pre empted this by suggesting to the ISSF that if pants are banned, shooters must then be allowed to use a body belt to support the lower spine/lumbar on health and safety grounds. They are available from most sports shops and are Velcro fastened. I use one as i do not use pants and it is a great help.

The ISSF said they would look into this proposal as there could be a health and safety issue to address, especially for youngsters.
They are not allowed under current ISSF rules but are under our national rules.

Peepsight
2many7s

Thanks

Post by 2many7s »

Thanks for your replies. I wear a size 10.5 boot so the 12's wont help but I appreciate the offer.

I think I will get a good jacket for Christmas :)
Roy Hill

Post by Roy Hill »

For my shooters on my collegiate club team, we always worry about jacket first.

Some of my folks have pants that fit them, some don't.

Some have shooting boots, some don't.

But everyone we can afford to equip with a jacket, we do that first.

Roy Hill
Marcus

Powers that be?

Post by Marcus »

TomN

Who are these Powers that Be?

I would like to think that I am pretty well wired into the shooting community and I have not heard anything more about such a change after the 2008 Olympics.

Are you just dredging up the old 2004 conflict where Gary Anderson proposed changing the thickness of the jacket and pants or even eliminating them altogether?

That has been resolved to my understanding by strictly applying the rules as written and having a very thorough equipment control check. That is for ISSF. Of course USA Shooting and other federations around the world have adopted these rules (with some local variations) for their internal competitions.

There is no further talk, to my knowledge, about changing the clothing regulations such that it would obsolete thousands upon thousands of sets of clothing for shooters around the world.

Please stop spreading that rumor unless you have incontrovertable proof.

Marcus
n1heu

Post by n1heu »

I tell my juniors to evaluate the cash on hand and decide to purchase in this order:
rifle
jacket
sling
glove

My reasons are that the club supplies basic usable equipment for beginning and if they decide shooting is just not for them they are not stuck with some very expensive equipment. I recommend the Gehmann jacket or the Freeland from Champion Shooters. The Freeland is a good bargain and will stand up to several seasons. The Gehmann is a little higher end, more comfort and better support for longer. You should also try everyones sling that will let you. Find the one that suits you not just the most expensive. Same for a glove.
mike
jackh

Post by jackh »

Why has rifle shooting gone to the exoskeleton tin pants and coat in the first place? That is the one of the main reasons I have not returned to SB Prone.
Joe66

exoskeleton tin pants and coat ?

Post by Joe66 »

What are "exoskeleton tin pants and coat " ?