Trouble with aiming

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Trouble with aiming

Post by Guest »

I am a right handed 10M air rifle shooter who has trouble with aiming - getting the proper Natural Point of Aim (NPOA). My question is with regard to how you make finer adjustments to the NPOA with your right foot for the horizontal variances.

1. After checking the innter position and placing your cheek on the cheekpiece and finding slight horizontal variance in the sight alignment, do you adjust the right foot with your cheek still on the cheekpiece or

2. You make the adjustments without the cheek on the cheekpiece and then check the inner position again and then take up the position.

The trouble I am having with #1 is that when I move my right foot, I lose my balance, my support elbow gets shifted from the pelvis, and I lose track of the breathing. The trouble I have with #2 is that when I place my cheek back on the cheekpiece, it is not at the same location.

Need advise - please help!
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

For your first question for adjusting the right foot, what i do is get in position and get on target check my NPA and then depending where i have to move it i then move my foot in small amounts. (you dont need much). Then i remount the rifle and check it again.

For the second part
You say when you move your feet you get off balance. This is hard to figure out if we dont see your position first hand but i will offer some advice.
First off if you are moving your feet where you become off balance stop there and go back to basics.

One thing you can do when you are trying to adjust your NPA instead of moving that right foot try pivoting your toes a little. (left to make npa go left and right to make npa go right). You only need to move them a little. This will help you avoid moving your feet so that you dont go off balance.

Another important thing is that you should be only moving your shoulders to the target when mounting the rifle. Keep the hips straight and just move the upper body. Its not easy to grasp at first but with a little stretching you can get it.

Have you also tried to move your whole body over to line yourself up better. Sometimes you can walk your position to the right or left of the point to line yourself up better for the target. Just be aware some ranges give limited space for there points.

With your elbow moving that is part of setting up your position. If that elbow is not in the same spot your shot consistency will be off. Check your position because it should not pivot. And make sure you turn from you upper body and not your hips.

Let me know if this helps at all.

stephen