Headspace Adjust.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

joydeepk

Headspace Adjust.

Post by joydeepk »

Can anybody tell how to adjust the 'headspace' of a smallbore(Anschutz) Free Rifle 1913, and what is the optimum adjustment for it.
Thanks in advance...
GOVTMODEL

Headspace

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I believe your gunsmith has to set the barrel back in the receiver and recut the chamber.

IIRC, and I may not, for Eley ammunition the desired number is 0.043".
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

It's easier to adjust the headspace of your ammunition :)

Not being facetious, get a headspace gauge and batch your ammo according to headspace. It's not critical as to whether it's tight or loose, just that it's all the same at any particular time.

i.e, if it's loose, then make sure it's all loose for a competition. Headspace variations will vary the point of impact.

Post by Guest »

Worn headspace can be restored with shims (very thin washers) that are placed between the bolt handle and the bolt body.

The Anschutz service tent at Bisly have also placed the bolt body on a vice and then beaten it with a hammer, to force the metal back into shape.

Tim S

Exeter UK
Albert B

headspace and rim thickness

Post by Albert B »

rrpc,
Having sorted my ammo on rimthickness for many years and spending many hours testing:
rim thickness does make a difference in group size. Rifles like one thickness in particular - depending on the headspace. Just as mr. B. Calfee says.
There is, as you mentioned, a very small change of POI (@50m). This depends on whether the rim tickness is more or less then the optimum thickness. The POI will be either higher or lower.

Albert B
(The Netherlands)