just got "our" new rifle in.....

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

2many7s

just got "our" new rifle in.....

Post by 2many7s »

I have been lusting over a new air rifle for some time and I finally decided to get one that my son and I could share. I sold his BSA Ultra with scope and rings, and a Ruger pistol of mine and bought a CMP / Anschutz 8002. It came in yesterday and I am very pleased. The stock and butt plate have more adjustment ability than my sons P70 Junior and it will work perfectly with a scope also. I will start pellet testing today :)

I guess I can pit my old Feinwerkbau 300 Match back in the safe for a little while, atleast until my son decides that he is ready for the full sized rifle (I don't have long..... ;)
2many7s

first days of shooting

Post by 2many7s »

Hello all. I have had the opportunity to shoot the 8002 for a couple of days now and I am very impressed. It is much more enjoyable to shoot than my Feinwerkbau 300, but of course they are guns from different eras and not to be compared. I will not get rid of the 300 because I shot one in high school and those were good times! As for the 8002 I was a little worried av\bout not being like the trend and getting an aluminum stock but I could not be more pleased. The fit is very good, it has a lot of adjustment, and it shoots great. The only thing I wish it had was a cant adjustment on the but plate....

Post by Guest »

RE: Cant adjustment on buttplate -
I think that would be illegal for air rifle competition.
2many7s

Maybe so

Post by 2many7s »

You may be correct. The rifle I was shooting that had a nice cant adjustment was a smallbore. and I have a friend who has an air rifle with cant but he added an after market butt plate......
isuguncoach

cant in airrifle

Post by isuguncoach »

Cant is OK by the rules in precision air rifles, and for some shooters is the only way to get a good head position for sight alignment. You may have to check on an "after market" butt plate to get the cantable (is cantable a real word???) feature. Check with a mentor or coach about your need to cant the rifle, and how to set it up so the cant is consistant through all positions.

Good luck,

Joe
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Yes, from memory (dangerous), I think 15mm either way is permitted. It is best, and easy, to get on USA shooting's site and download the rules they you'll have it from the horse's mouth. I think they offer some of the 8002's with a very basic butt plate that does not have some of the adjustment. My 2002 has a cantable buttplate.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

7.4.3 Standards for 300 m Standard Rifle and 10 m Air Rifle
7.4.3.1 The butt plate may be adjustable up or down. The lowest point
of the stock or toe of the butt plate, with the butt plate in its
maximum downward position must not exceed 220 mm from the
center line of the barrel. It may be offset parallel to the center
line of the normal end of the butt plate left or right a maximum
15 mm OR the complete butt plate (not part) may be turned on
the vertical axis. Turning the butt plate on the horizontal axis is
not permitted.

see the drawing in 7.4.3.1.1