PILLAR SIGHT

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

PILLAR SIGHT

Post by Guest »

Can some one tell me why are there people still shooting with pillar sites. It interests me and im looking for a set of old pillar sites so that I can give it try. And is there anybody out there still shooting them. What does it do for you that round/triangular/square do not?
EdR

Post by EdR »

I assuming by pillar sight you mean a post front sight. I don't think there is any advantage as far as I know. I believe I read somewhere that one of the better shooters in europe uses one for I think offhand. It might be better if you can get the same hold on the target every time
brandonbc

thats the one

Post by brandonbc »

That’s rite the post front sight. I saw it again on the video clip of http://issf.team-multimedia.de/videothe ... ories_id=8 down load the 50m prone video and look at the shooters front sights when they scan through the shooters. There is a German that is shooting with one.
peepsight

Post fore sight

Post by peepsight »

It was the Slovene Rajmond Debevec Sidney Olympic 3x40 and air rifle champion who uses the post fore sight.

Rajmond is just one of a handful of shooters that use the post and is considered the exception to the rule.

Unless you can master using the post it does have greater tendancy for positioning error over the ring sight.

Post by Guest »

for some of us, ahem, advanced age shooters with eye stigmatisms the post sometimes works out better than the rings or triangles. Not to say that some of you whipper snappers can't have the same difficulties. Personaly the rings are all egg shaped now days for me damned near impossible to line up. I can still balance a basket ball on the post though or hold center depends on your preferance.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

If you wear glasses, your astigmatism should be corrected assuming you wear your glasses to shoot. You may also have floaters or other eye problems that glasses cannot correct. I find a +.37D correction to my regular prescription works for service rifle shooting. The peep also helps with getting the front sight in-focus. Others will argue that the front sight must be in-focus -- I find that mental focus on the front sight to be more important than seeing it perfectly (at least for service rifle, again).

Best,

Joe
peepsight

Old eyes and ring sights

Post by peepsight »

Hi guest

I have the same problem with ring sights going oval or greying out. It is basically astigmatism. I solved most of this with shooting glasses but not completely.
I tried the AHG triangle sight with some improvement but when i tried the Gehman square sight, things realy improved.
The eye will automatically centre the aiming mark in the square and the 4 straight sides of the square do not distort. Give it a try.

Peepsight