Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Mike V

Best Air Rifle out there?

Post by Mike V »

9003? and what sights?

Thanks, Mike
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

well, there really is no consensus about the "best" air rifle. Certainly, the anschutz name is the most widely respected and the 9003 is their top model but its all about the best rifle for you. I personally prefer my walther lg300, but its all about personal preference. I dont think you can go wrong with the 9003, lg300, steyr lg110 (or 100, though i dont like the idea of taking a precision rifle apart between shoots), FWB's or even Hammerlis. You be pressed to find any difference between the group sizes of these precision rifles, its all about the feel.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

As WaltherWill mentioned I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end air guns. Having said that I would eitehr get feinwerkbau or steyr.

Each have a wide range of adjustments. I find my FWB 700 alu after beeing adjusted fits me really well and balances really well.
EdR

Post by EdR »

If you're gonna get an air rifle get the fwb. Anschutz have the worst reliability possible. I know people in pa that have gone through 4 of the 9003 and they keep buying them for some reason. Also if you look at their test targets they're by far the worst out of any of them. Personally I shoot a walther and love it and have only had a problem with an air cylinder that need a new valve. But if you do get the fwb I'd recommend some different sights the fwb rear isn't the greatest but some people like them. Also testing pellets is a big part, I've tested about ten different lots of vogel and had some shoot bad and a few that you couldn't tell had more than 1 shot. If you're gonna get an air rifle go for a fwb or walther.
Joe66

Get an older model

Post by Joe66 »

All the new 10-meter AR are not as well made as the older models; yes, even the FWB. Look at the new P700 and compare to a P70.

I shoot a FWB C62 and sometimes a FWB 600. Yes, I written in this website, what I thought about the FWB 603, 602, 601, and 600.

Get the older models of FWB, Walther or Anschutz. They are cheaper too. The Older FWB will last a thousand years if you take care of them.
cmj

Post by cmj »

Don't forget our host sells the Steyr LG110 and it is just as good as any thing out there. My daughter loves her Steyr and it shoots great and she has great results and the score can't be wrong. Have never had a problem with the take down feature, put it back together and still shooting in the same place, and takes up a lot less space, ideal for travel as can use a much smaller travel case.
Joe66

Steyr LG110

Post by Joe66 »

Did the Steyr LG110 won any Olympic medals yet?
If so, when?
acetan

Olympian!

Post by acetan »

Hi Joe66,

You have contributed a lot of valuable insight about 10 meter air rifles and I think you must be a guru with authority. Have you won any Olympic medals or did you compete in any Olympic games?

If so, when? Your fan here is dying to know.
peepsight

Medals

Post by peepsight »

Thomas Farnik from Austria holds the world record with his Steyr LG-110 shot in the world cup in Spain 2006.

I don't think there is a 'best' air rifle, because if there was one that was better than all the rest every shooter and his brother would be using it.

Look at the ISSF TV and you will see a pretty balanced mixture of all the top rifles in action.

Peepsight
Joe66

Will the winners of an Olympic medal please step forward

Post by Joe66 »

acetan,

I am never won an Olympic medel with my Air Rifle. Perhaps I and other like me, should not talk about which air rifle is best. I think the only people that can talk about this are the one that actually won an Olympic medal.

What? what is that I heard in this forum. Oh, my god is the sound of silence! Will the winners of an Olympic medal please step forward and tell us pee-ons which Air rifle is the best please.
cmj

Post by cmj »

Joe66
Having had the opportunity to talk to Olympic gold medal and other winners. the concensus seemed to be they are all capable, but it is the shooter that pulls the trigger. The feel needs to be right and what one shooter feels another might not. So they are all pretty equal, but the "shooter" makes the difference, not the rifle, except for how it feels. When everything feels right then it's time for a lot of hard work to hone the skills needed to compete at the top level.
Compressed air came to dominate, because it takes a lot of work to work that old SSP for 60 shots, plus sighters and CO2 is not quite as user friendly as CA. Young kids also have quite a time working those old SSP rifles and who knows how many budding gold medal winners gave up because they cpould not work that old rifle.
Our club has shooters shooting FWB700, Anschtz 9003, Anschutz 2002 and Steyr LG110s and no one wants to shoot the others equipment. Each individual has what they think is best for them.
Bob123

Anschutz 2001

Post by Bob123 »

I am new to the air rifle game.
Having been a fullbore target shooter in the past, but I now find myself in a new country (Germany), in a new club and with a wait of a year before I can purchase firearms.
The club has air rifles, but not good ones, so I have invested in a second hand Anschutz 2001 in top condition.
I have also purchased a load of top spec RWS match pellets and next week I intend to bench test everything.
Realistically, what sort of performance can I expect from this rifle?

All advice appreciated.

Bob123
peepsight

Anscutz 2001

Post by peepsight »

Hi bob123

I suspect that this air rifle is the Anschutz 2001 Superair which is a side lever pre compressed model.

They are excellent and the build quality is up with the best. I think it was a 2001 model that held the world record for a short while many years ago. Having said that, the FWB and Walther pre compressed air rifles of that era were more popular.
I'm sure that your German shooting club freinds will have better knowledge of this rifle than me.

Peepsight
peepsight

Anschutz 2001

Post by peepsight »

Hi bob123

I forgot to say, if it will one hole group with the right ammo from a bench rest it should do from the shoulder, the rest is up to you.

Peepsight

Re: Anscutz 2001

Post by Guest »

peepsight wrote:Hi bob123

I suspect that this air rifle is the Anschutz 2001 Superair which is a side lever pre compressed model.

They are excellent and the build quality is up with the best. I think it was a 2001 model that held the world record for a short while many years ago. Having said that, the FWB and Walther pre compressed air rifles of that era were more popular.
I'm sure that your German shooting club freinds will have better knowledge of this rifle than me.

Peepsight
Correct, its full name is Anschutz 2001 Superair, with a side lever.
The few other air rifle users are rather religious with regard to what works - anyone not shooting a high end Walther is clearly untermensch ;-)
Also the air shooters are focused on standing, whereas I am a solid prone man (from the fullbore background) with just a very limited experience in 3 position .22lr shooting. Seems that air rifle design is geared around balance in the standing position to a large extent?
But you answered my question - if the thing is able to put 5 pellets into a 6-7mm hole, it is good enough for me while I salivate over the Sako TRG catalogue for the next year.....

Thanks,
Bob
peepsight

Which is best

Post by peepsight »

Hi joe66

I guess you won't be satisfied untill some one [Olympic medal winner] says which is best. I have news for you, there is no best air rifle. They are all capable of winning. If some one does say which is the best then that can only be a 'subjective' view.

I suspect that quite a few Olympic shooters including medal winners have not looked at this forum. So this is probably why they are not stepping forward! If they did they would all say the same as me.
Over the years, Anschutz, FWB, Walther and Hammerlie have all won medals. Steyr have won many medals in world cups, world champs and swept the board in the Austrian champs.

The rifle you choose and love shooting will be the best air rifle.

Peepsight
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

Thanks to everyone for all the interest! I figured this was a well-discussed topic that would be no replies.

I am "the parent" – an engineer by trade, not a shooter. All of what I’ve learned is via the web & my daughter’s coach. [Web wise, as a novice, I’ve found the www.nealjguns.com site very informative.]

My daughter has just competed her second year shooting, placing 3rd in the NRA Nationals at Akron. We're thinking of that "next step" in equipment. She shooting a club P70 Jr now and her club has two 2002's. I figured the next step might be upgrading the sights on a club gun => thus the question to stay with FWB or Anschutz.

As for the rear sights, I figure the choices are:
• Anschutz 7002/20
• Centra
• MEC (which seems expensive)
With potentially a Anschutz or Centra aperture.

For the front maybe the AHG Anschutz - Sight Front W/Iris (?)

Thanks ahead of time for all your help, Mike
EdR

Post by EdR »

For a rear sight the anschutz will be more than enough for 10m, if you're gonna have it on a smallbore too I'd say get a centra they're a bit better (there is no one who currently has these in stock in the USA but you can get them from intershoot). Rear iris gehmann, centra, and anschutz are all great and will work great; as for what you want it to doo. You can get color filters, various size ranges, and other options. I have colors but have never found use to them, for size range a .5 to 1.8 will do. Front sight iris isn't some you need but it's so much easier to change you for sight while shooting offhand. Depending on what sight's are on the gun you might be further ahead to put the money towards a personal gun or shooting clothing.
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

Thanks EdR.

My daughter also shoots smallbore, so you would be suggesting the Centra. Does Centra only have one rear sight?

http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/Sight ... 5.html#265

What does "1/8 Minute Sight" mean?

Thanks, Mike

Post by Guest »

1/8Minute rearsight, means that each "click" or graduation of rearsight adjustment will move the point of impact by 1/8 minute of angle.

1Minute of angle (usually MOA or minute for short) is 1/60th of a degree. This equates near as dammit to 1in at 100 yards, and proportionally at other ranges.

1/8th minute is a fairly fine adjustment.

Tim S

Exeter UK