Recommendation for a cheap, acceptable spotting scope?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RFC

Recommendation for a cheap, acceptable spotting scope?

Post by RFC »

Can any of you give me a recommendation for a cheap, acceptable 10m spotting scope?

After years of photography, some of it professional, shooting Leica, Nikon, and Canon, I understand the value of good glass. I also understand that many optic uses do not require that extra x% clarity, etc.

So, with that, what do you recommend?

Thanks

RFC
Myron32

spotting scopes

Post by Myron32 »

I too have had Leica, et. al. but settled on a Kowa scope. They have several varieties with accessories and available all over -- Champions Choice, Creedmore, etc. Do a search for others. Also used on Ebay. I have a 50 mm in my shooting box and a 77mm for smallbore, highpower.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

If you really only need it for 10M then any old cheap scope will suffice. I bought a very cheap monocular from ebay and I use that at 10M when required. Look there for cheap scopes would be my suggestion.

Rob.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I agree with Rob. At 10 meters, you're not looking for (or through) mirage and the holes just aren't that hard to see. The 50 mm Kowa scopes are small and lightweight and more than adequate. If you move out to 50 yards or 50 m, scope quality becomes more critical.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I picked up 4 of the Celestron 12-36x50mm scopes with NRA grant money this year and have been VERY pleased with them for both 10m and 50yd/m Air & Smallbore shooting. Dial them in at about 15X for 10m and you have pretty decent eye relief.

Not a bad price at $79

http://www.spottingscopes.com/products/ ... 25820.html
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

check specs some wont focus in to 10m
my old Bushnell barely does
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

check specs some wont focus in to 10m
So true!
The Celestron's (above) will focus down to 15 feet ... good for even BB gun
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I had to back the eyepiece out of one of my scopes to focus at 10m. The standard focus control did not get down that close.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Indeed, several spotting scope do not focus at 10m and even more do not specify the minimum focusing distance.

I also went for the same Celestron for 10m AP shooting, it is cheap, lightweigth and small. Only drawback, the tripod delivered with it too low for most shooting range, you will need to find another one.
n1heu

Post by n1heu »

http://cgi.ebay.com/NcStar-20-60x60-Spo ... dZViewItem

I purchased several of these for my juniors program. We use them from 10m-100-m.