10 m air rifle probs...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hole-puncher

10 m air rifle probs...

Post by hole-puncher »

Here's the history.....
For years I shot 3 position smallbore rifle. I gave this up to shoot pistol for a few years. Now I'm doing some 10 m air rifle shooting. Problem is, I'm all over the place, I can't shoot groups even... I had no problems shooting smallbore standing.. Another problem is that I'm at a very small club right now and no one is competitive or even considering shooting for anything other than fun.. Also there are no coaches of any kind around here..
ANy help or ideas???
Shooter

air rifle hold

Post by Shooter »

Hi: Sounds to me like you may have a follow-through problem. Even though the pellet gets out of the barrel quickly, it still is not as fast as the .22. You may be moving just a hair too quickly and throwing the shot off before it gets out of the barrel. Just a thought.
Contact me at: bawilli@attglobal.net so I can let you know about some other things that may help. Where are you located? I know coaches all over the place, and may be able to help you hook up with one.
Anyway, good luck. Also, try some holding work at home for 15-20 minutes 3-5 days a week. See if that helps some.
Don
WRC

Post by WRC »

Starting with the basics - What air rifle & pellets are you shooting? Can you bench it and produce groups? Put a generously sized front aperture in, and follow Don's advice to follow through. Oh - be patient!
Coach, Wheaton Club
hole-puncher

Thanx for the tips

Post by hole-puncher »

Hey Shooter, thanx for the info... I'll e-mail you as soon as my e-mail is back up and running.... In terms of location, I'm just outside of Toronto, Canada.

For the basics WRC.... I'll start at the beginning (if it helps): I started shooting 3P with a CIL (Anschutz) 190 and moved up to a sporterized Anschutz 1803, both of which I shot for years without any major performance problems..
My pistol shooting was mostly .40 cal Glocks and combat shotguns..
But I'm now trying to civilzed again.
I joined up at an older, non-competitive air rifle club (and have been thinking about getting more involved again). Seeing as my family is growing and my budget is dropping. I've been using the club guns... First a Diana model 60. Then someone found a FWB 150 they let me use. Just recenlty I picked up a FWB 600 (which I haven't had a chance to shoot yet). The pellets, which the club supplies are RWS Meisterkugeln. I've still got a decent Sauer shooting jacket and a couple of gloves...

Well that's about it... Maybe that'll give someone some kinda idea..
Thnax all..
Tim Conrad

Post by Tim Conrad »

Starting off a sandbag or benchrest is good advice. A machine rest if you have access to one. Make sure the gun can shoot a good group. If you have access to a chronograph, that will tell you a lot about the gun. I've seen 600's that had trouble holding 9-ring. Usually bad seals, or a ding in the barrel. Seals are cheap. Barrels less so. After that, the big aperture is the next good idea. 4.5 mm is a good place to start.

Airguns are a tad slower, but I measured only 0.0065 seconds from the start of trigger release (enough pressure to make something happen) and pellet exit. Not much slower than the 0.0050 I measured in smallbore. Having said that, I shot far better standing groups with my ancient FWB C60 than I could with my 1813. The smallbore gun drove tacks in prone. The air rifle target is 1.5 times bigger than the smallbore, but the difference was much greater than that. You can't always relate one to the other.

Start on the bench, probably replace the seals, make sure the pellets like the gun. That should get you a lot closer.