Kimber 82?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

10meter shooter

Kimber 82?

Post by 10meter shooter »

Is this rifle (Kimber) any good? I'd like to buy a rifle to shoot 3P, 4P, and prone matches. I'm broke and in High school (same thing), and currently shoot air and small bore. My school disbanded small bore and I want to keep shooting. Should I look to buy something better or is a Kimber adequate for now? My last air score was a 557/572. Both past air and smallbore rifles were anschutz
thanks
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I assume you are referring to the Kimber 82G from the CMP.

I purchased a used one back in January that was a "turn in" from the JROTC programs. Mine was essentially brand new ... still had original preservative in the bolt and on the barrel.

I put a scope on it and took it to my club range that has a 100yd tunnel.
This gun shot shot sub inch groups with Wolf Match Target (about .86 c-c)

>>I<< think that this gun is a good gun, but it is awful heavy. I'll probably catch a few comments here, but I've shaved quite a bit off the stock (sides and fore-end), drilled out the butt, taken the stock scope and sight mounts off, removed the rail and have mounted a 12-40X scope. My 15 year old daughter uses this as a silhouette rifle .... under the 10lb-2oz limit. (note I got this for $225 as I recall)

They are certainly great for 50ft and for a beginner at 50yds/meters too.

If you can afford double the cost ... look at the STD 1903 Anschutz on the CMP website.

If you are looking to shoot in college, then look at the cost as an investment and pony up to the $2K+ for a 1912 or something like it from various vendors. I KNOW it's hard to consider that now, but look to the long term. If you take reasonable care of the gear, even if you decide to sell it later, you'll probably be able to get easily 80% of that back.

Go to the buy and sell area of this site or Neil Johnson's site and look at prices people pay for good used smallbore rifles ( http://nealjguns.com/ )

That said .... I also use Russian CM-2's for my shooters in position shooting. They will shoot as well as the Kimber 82G, are lighter, have an adjustable buttplate, and cost less. The finish is not as nice as an Anschutz or the Kimber, and they are RH only. ( http://mtguns.com/cm-2.htm ) I have youth models as I can use them for my 10 year old shooters and they are not much heavier than the sporter air rifles they also use .... the adult models are about 10 lbs.

Decisions, decisions ......just remember if you are looking at college, think investment ... smile a lot to your parents, do extra chores ... you know....

Good luck and keep shooting!
tim_stone

Kimber 82

Post by tim_stone »

The Kimber Model 82 is a good starter rifle, I shot one for three years before I moved to the Anschutz 2013. I passed the rifle to another shooter that was starting out, and he is still using the rifle and does well with it. The great disadvantage is the sights just do not adjust like the Big A. If you find a gunsmith or someone with exprience working on the action it can be greatly improved with some clean up.

What ever rifle you decide to get , just keep shooting and enjoy your self.