IZH 46M Help

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
awshucks

IZH 46M Help

Post by awshucks »

Just got a new one today. Having problems already, when I close the bolt, I can hear the air escape from the chamber. Sometimes it works, then it doesn't. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Please be a more specific about your problem. You close the bolt/bolt lever (part nos 57/58) after you insert a pellet in the breach. Is that when you are losing pressure? Or are you losing pressure when you close the cocking (pump) lever (part no. 43)? Some time ago there was a thread where a new shooter was losing pressure because he was not fully cocking the gun and the air escaped as he closed the cocking lever. See: viewtopic.php?t=12003&highlight= When the Izzy is fully cocked, the bolt/bolt lever automatically opens to over 90 degrees and stays there. Are you achieving that? New Izzys are stiff and require a bit of force to fully cock.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I open the cocking lever all the way, the bolt pops up to the 90 degree position, after I load a pellet into the bore and close the bolt, just before it latches, I can hear the air escape. I read the manual, and saw that under 24 oz trigger pull could cause problem, suspected that right off, and have tried adjusting the trigger pull screw [E] both directions several turns to no avail. What's frustrating is it works occasionally. The dealer who shoots one suggested I close the charging arm forcefully, but that doesn't seem to help. Right now, I get enough air to drive a pellet [H&N Match] to about 1/2" from end of barrel. I'd sure like to solve this rather than ship the gun to eaa. thanks for your help!!

edited to add: read the link, got both "O" rings on the breech seal [of bolt] just tried really jamming the thing open and that seems to work! I mean really slapping the cocking lever forward hard! Enough to scare me, lol. Is this due to it being a new gun?? Will it wear in some? Is there an adj where this much force isn't needed? Thanks sooo much for the help!!
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Your Izzy will become easier to cock with time...and experience. In the first sentence of your reply it sounds like you are inserting the pellet and closing the bolt lever before you close the cocking lever. That may work, however, I recommend completing the cocking cycle and then inserting the pellet and closing the bolt lever-seems safer to me.

Enjoy your Izzy.
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

FYI, here is some discussion on trigger adjustment: viewtopic.php?t=15420&highlight=.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Thanks again. No, I close the cocking lever first, then load pellet and only flip the bolt down when ready to fire one off, as I read that's the safety feature on this gun. I'm really happy I don't have to ship this thing to Florida! My left hand grips and targets were only 70 miles away at 8:30 this a.m. but still haven't gotten here. Can you tell me which direction on the previous described screw [E] increases or decrease trigger pull? I can't seem to tell any difference regardless of which way I turn it. And, since I'm in the presence of experience here,
lol, screw [D] on the trigger, does that allow one to "tilt" the trigger left to right? I see the trigger has a slot in it and am guessing it grabs onto a round bar [trigger lever[18], mine is tilted for a rh shooter, but the screw [D] is REAL tight.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Maybe you can have wrong setted many times your trigger screw:
to check weight see my post on the link suggested above:
viewtopic.php?t=15420&start=0&postdays= ... ighlight=.
3° post.

To restore trigger functionality you can disassemble grip, and look to sear engagement, when you close the blot, they have to be as this pictures:
Brevius, to increase trigger weight, referring to the pictures above
Screw C = Trigger weight = Turn clockwise to increase trigger pull. "
Screw D = Trigger shoe adjustment on bar = it permit only front and rear adjustment, not rolling lateral.

IMHO, if after restoring trigger setting, the air continue to escape i suggest you to disassemble pistol seals, and replace it. Clear replacing instruction can be found here: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/izh46slideshow.exe
You can find something that have a izh-46 from more times of you, and ask him to take a look at your pistols.
Best regards,
LukeP
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

awshucks wrote:.... screw [D] on the trigger, does that allow one to "tilt" the trigger left to right? I see the trigger has a slot in it and am guessing it grabs onto a round bar [trigger lever[18], mine is tilted for a rh shooter, but the screw [D] is REAL tight.
Unfortuneately (for you) the IZH46 trigger is set up for a right handed shooter i.e. the trigger is tilted to the right when properly fastened onto the trigger bar. The screw metal is VERY soft, so use care in loosening and tightening the screws.
I use Beeman moly/alcohol to lubricate the cocking lever linkages. This may help you with beak-in. It does get easier with time, but I recall mine requiring a surprising amount of force to cock when it was new.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Got he LH grips and targets today. Nothing ever goes easy, lol. I'm off and running now, thanks to all for the help!! Believe it or not, I did a search before my original post, but didn't find the answers. Now, if you guys ever wanna know something about crossbows, lol.....................

Thanks again for your time!!
johnRW

Re: IZH 46M Help

Post by johnRW »

awshucks wrote:Just got a new one today. Having problems already, when I close the bolt, I can hear the air escape from the chamber. Sometimes it works, then it doesn't. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!
Where did you find an IZH-46M? I've had one backordered since April.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I got the only one they had at: Firearms & Supplies Hancock, Mi. I saw on several web sites they expect to have them in some time this month, however when I called eea about a NRA discount I read about somewhere, they told me they had no idea when the next batch would be in and the NRA deal was "as available" w/ a LONG list. So....I googled Baikal dealers and got on the phone til I found this one. $329, be prepared, lol. Sunrise in Florida told me no one had any anywhere, so I guess I got lucky. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.