Highschooler's Plight

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

HB

Highschooler's Plight

Post by HB »

The high school I attend just got rid of small bore after 61 years for no clear reason besides "guns are bad". We still shoot air rifle (thank god) but I'd like to continue to shoot small bore because i wish to shoot in college. I would buy a rifle from the school (anshutz 1903/07 or walther kk club) but the administration (rumor has it) wants to deactivate the rifles by means concrete. Over $20,000 in rifles. I am speechless, to say the least. I live within 1 hour +/- of a 50 ft indoor range (which is what i shot) and a few hours of 50 meter outdoor. I'll be a sophomore this year so I'm obviously broke. Any suggestions on which rifle to buy would be nice (I'll worry about mat, jacket, pants, etc later) I shot a high of 554 smallbore (50ft) and yesterday at J.O. 3p air a 572/557

Thanks,
H.B.
St. Louis, Missouri
hb

Highschooler's Plight

Post by hb »

The high school I attend just got rid of small bore after 61 years for no clear reason besides "guns are bad". We still shoot air rifle (thank god) but I'd like to continue to shoot small bore because i wish to shoot in college. I would buy a rifle from the school (anshutz 1903/07 or walther kk club) but the administration (rumor has it) wants to deactivate the rifles by means concrete. Over $20,000 in rifles. I am speechless, to say the least. I live within 1 hour +/- of a 50 ft indoor range (which is what i shot) and a few hours of 50 meter outdoor. I'll be a sophomore this year so I'm obviously broke. Any suggestions on which rifle to buy would be nice (I'll worry about mat, jacket, pants, etc later) I shot a high of 554 smallbore (50ft) and yesterday at J.O. 3p air a 572/557

Thanks,
H.B.
St. Louis, Missouri
angelitaceleste

Rifle suggestion

Post by angelitaceleste »

Hi, I'm sorry about your school.

How deep do you want to get into the sport? It seems to me that you see it lasting quite a while. Start out looking at the Anschutz 1913/2013. They're great rifles, and have had a lot of success. You should also be able to find some good used ones.

I shoot with a 2012 and it fits my small frame perfectly. It's similar to the 1913/2013. There is less stock between your supporting arm and the barrel, allowing more control of the rifle

Does your school have any contact information regarding these rifles?
hb

Post by hb »

They basically don't want to sell them, presumably for liability reasons? I don't know. It's been a battle for a long time but the administration got their way
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I guess in the farthest reaches of my imagination I can see the liability issue.

How about you get them to contact the CMP and arrange for a donation to the CMP?

The CMP assumes liability by having a qualified gunsmith check the gun for operation or if necessary destruction.

The CMP could then maybe put the guns for auction on their website.
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

What high school was it?

Joe
JamesH

School

Post by JamesH »

Don't know much about American laws, but its reasonable to argue they should not be putting public money in the bin.

Speak to their accountant/purser, look at their constitution, they probably have a duty to manage their funds properly.

They couldn't just decide to scrap eg a minivan, computer etc when they could sell it and use the money for something else.
boz27606

Money not fear

Post by boz27606 »

I doubt the decision to stop smallbore wasn't based soley on "guns are bad" but rather an "ammo is expensive" reasoning. 27 years ago they disbanded the rifle team at my high school because of money. How expensive is a volunteer rifle coach, donated ammo and a free police range?

Buy whatever you can afford now. If you fit the shooter's demographic, your grades are in the top percentiles, you'll go to college and make plenty of money. Good luck to you no matter what game you end up playing.

boz